Healthy Living

gacgbaker
Making healthy options for Thanksgiving?
November 16, 2012 at 1:53 PM

What types of dishes are you serving at Thanksgiving that are healthier then the traditional dishes?

Replies

• Rushn311
    November 16, 2012 at 1:55 PM

I am not cooking dinner, my brother and  SIL do. They DO cook healthy but couldn't tell you how

• MamaMandee
    November 16, 2012 at 3:32 PM

None, its a special day so we go all out. 

• michiganmom116
    November 16, 2012 at 5:03 PM

I'm making the stuffing with grain-free cornbread (homemade) and using mushrooms as an added filler.  No Stovetop here.

I'll be adding crumbled bacon and sauteed mushrooms to green beans instead of the typical heavy cream of mushroom soup and french-fried onions.

No mashed potatoes and gravy.

Butternut squash with a bit of butter and honey instead of the sweet potato casserole loaded with sugar and marshmallows.

No rolls.

Fresh broccoli salad instead of broccoli casserole with it's heavy sauces and cheese.

Fresh cranberries, oranges, and apples are ground together and lightly sweetened with honey instead of the sugar-heavy cranberry sauce.

Desserts:  pies will have almond flour crusts (yummier than regular crusts and much more healthy) and the lowest amount of honey needed for sweetening.  I have a gingerbread pumpkin trifle on the menu, but the gingerbread will be made grain-free, the pumpkin filling is made from scratch (no boxed mixes involved), and the whipped cream will be made from real cream, not a bunch of chemicals.

• GwenMB
    by GwenMB
    November 16, 2012 at 5:03 PM

We usually try to have a lettuce salad, otherwise, its healthy only because things that are good for you (squash etc) are served - even if the way its served isn't all that healthy.

• Heather2001
    November 16, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Nothing!  I love Thanksgiving too much to skimp and try to save a few calories on that one day a year.

• MichelleK41
    November 16, 2012 at 10:56 PM

More greens and some asparagus.

• mrswillie
    November 17, 2012 at 7:31 AM

I make slow cook green beans instead of green bean casserole. I also make homemade cranberry sauce

• Kmakksmom
    November 18, 2012 at 6:26 PM

i don't recall a Thanksgiving when my husband cooked healthy things.  Thanksgiving is only one of a few times when we don't have to worry about eating healthy!

Healthy Living

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN