Healthy Living

xoxRachelxox
Red Dye 40
September 29, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Have any of you ever noticed if this affects your kids in a negative way?

I notice that my youngest and oldest sons are more sensitive to it than my middle son.

If they have anything with that in it, they're hyper and don't listen well at all. My oldest is 14 and had ADHD and my youngest is 3.

Both my middle and youngest boys have ear infections and got prescribed antibiotics because the home remedy we tried just wasn't working.

After I gave it to my youngest, he was off the walls. He was hyper and not listening. My husband questioned whether there was red dye 40 in it because it is pink and yup, sure enough it is in it!

My middle son does get affected by it but not to a point that it bothers his brothers.

I'm just wondering if anyone else noticed this issue in their kids?

Replies

• michiganmom116
    September 30, 2012 at 8:18 AM

I've definitely noticed a difference in behavior, but my DS says it's because he feels better....well DUH!  I don't think he's as sensitive as your boys, though.

• tnvplus2
    September 30, 2012 at 1:27 PM
    I am not sure. My son is delayed so I understand his fits. My dd is super hyper so I'm not sure if that contributes to it or not.
  • BelindaDuvessa
    September 30, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Honestly, so far as I can tell, no.  But I have seen people who are not only sensitive to it, but allergic.

• mandee1503
    September 30, 2012 at 1:47 PM

We have had this discussion several times in the special needs group. A lot of moms have eliminated it from their kids diets because it has such a huge effect on them.

• sassymomntx1961
    October 2, 2012 at 12:54 AM

DD has pdd-nos,mood disorder and learning disorders.I need to ask her pedi if shw would test for it and other dyes possibly.

• matreshka
    October 2, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Yes.  With my 8 yr old the school told us they suspected he has adhd.  I split custody with his father and his father definitely gives him stuff with red 40 and othe junk.  I noticed at his birthday party he had a red frosting cupcake and then went wild.  When he is with me we eat well and he is more clam and well behaved.

• chrissyof5
    October 17, 2012 at 8:15 PM
    You know....I don't have a kid with adhd..but all this talk makes me really wonder what's really going on with our food nowadays! Good lord!

Healthy Living

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts