For my good house cleaning i do
My regular sweeping of the floors (minus the living room as that is carpet) and then i take a ice cream pail and put 2 capful of bleach in the bucket and the rest water almost to the top.
Is it ok to do. The first time i did it was when i sanatized after everyone was sick.
And today i did it again upstairs and in the kitchen. Reason for the kitchen around the table it was full of hair, food that got stuck, and broom abd mop couldnt get to it. So i cleaned it all up, moved the chairs, swept everything, and then got on my hands and knees and washed with my bleach water.
Is it ok for the floors
by BmatNovember 30, 2012 at 10:11 PM
I wouldn't. It could damage them. And they don't need to be disinfected anyway.
by babs61679December 1, 2012 at 12:32 AMI clean houses professionally. You should never, never, never use bleach on hardwood floors of any kind. Either straight water, vinegar and water or a hardwood floor cleaner from the store. The bleach can strip the floor, suck out the moisture and possibly ruin the floors. Then you'll need to replace the floor. :(
by MamaJaneDecember 1, 2012 at 10:02 AMYeah I second the no bleach.
December 1, 2012 at 1:48 PMBleach on hardwood is not a good idea! I have hardwood floors and I use murphy's oil soap to clean mine.
Firstly, never use bleach to CLEAN anything, it isn't a cleaner. It won't cut greese, it won't make dirt more easily disolved into water, it just DOESN'T.
Bleach is a disinfectant. On a CLEAN surface it will kill germs, but the surface first has to be clean for it to work. It also oxidizes, which is how it brightens/lightens things.
Clean your floors with a gentle detergent or soap that is good for floors, and then disinfect, if you feel the need with wood safe disinfectent, although, I don't think it is really needed, unless you have a immune compromised person in your home. For most of us, clean is good enough,
by Jessy613December 2, 2012 at 9:46 AM
I only use the lysol disinfectant multiple surfaces cleaner to wash my floors but they aren't real hardwood.
by HLmom89December 2, 2012 at 9:52 AMThe hallway floor is not real
Wood and neither is the kitchen and upstairs bath is not wood
Hallway and stairs for upstairs is real wood. 2 bedrooms ob main floor is wood.
by RotaDecember 2, 2012 at 3:49 PM
I agree- you rarely, if ever, need bleach for cleaning. Your house does not have to be disinfected. You are not doing surgery. Bleach is hard on the floor and even harder on your lungs. Mild soap/detergent is all you ever need to clean.
FYI- even if you did insist on bleaching the floors, that does not stop the spread of germs/ viruses- most of which are spread via sneezing or hand to mouth contact.
Washing your hands is your best bet to prevent spread of disease and Don't use hand sanitizers. Plain soap and water is all you need. KIS
by BUTMUNCHDecember 2, 2012 at 7:53 PM
I clean houses professionally. You should never, never, never use bleach on hardwood floors of any kind. Either straight water, vinegar and water or a hardwood floor cleaner from the store. The bleach can strip the floor, suck out the moisture and possibly ruin the floors. Then you'll need to replace the floor. :(
What about cheap tile? I use bleach and pine-sol to clean my floors and i cant seem to get them clean. You got any advice for me? TIA