Featured Posts
Barabell
What Your Kids' Summer Plans Say About Your Parenting Style
July 27 at 2:00 AM

What Your Kids' Summer Plans Say About Your Parenting Style

by Jeanne Sager Tuesday at 12:05 PM in Big Kid

girl climbing tree

Tiger moms. Helicopter moms. Free-range moms. Ever wonder where you fall on the range of parenting types? It turns out how your children are spending their summer vacations could be the key to figuring it all out.

Whether they're holed up at camp or spacing out with video games, what you've got in store for the kids this summer says a whole lot about the kind of mom you are:

They're either at a playdate or in the back of your minivan, being shuttled to the next water park, with ice cream dripping down their cheeks ... because summer is for the children to have fun! We don't need to see the nail marks in your hands to know you're a martyr mom. The summer is indeed a fun time for kids, but it's OK to just tell them to go maketheir own fun once in awhile. Who knows, you might even find five seconds to do something for YOU.

They're somewhere. You're not really sure. Maybe climbing a tree or splashing in a brook? Oh, hello free-range mama! Lenore Skenazy is proud of you and your '70s-style parenting. But you might want to take those lawn darts away from the kids before someone loses an eye. Trips to the ER are such a bore.

They're at sleepaway camp ... for the whole summer. If a week or two of camp can help them build confidence, imagine what a whole summer can do? Says every cold-fish mom out there. A little tip? That invitation to parents' weekend isn't just a suggestion.

They're in advanced math classes all day on Mondays and Wednesdays; Mandarin and Spanish on Tuesdays and Thursdays; Fridays are split between leadership training and debate; and on Saturdays and Sundays, they swim under the direction of a former Olympian. Do you have Amy Chua on speed dial, tiger mama? You may want to dial the dictatorship back just a wee bit. Maybe let them sleep past 5 a.m. one day a week?

They're dressed all in vintage duds and munching on kale chips on the way to day camp, where they'll learn to make cheese and take better Instagram photos. No doubt about it; you're a hipster mom, and we raise a reusable bag of organic veggie puffs in your direction.

They're on the couch, playing video games, where they've been since school let out. Sometimes they get up and walk to the fridge. The kids call you the cool mom, but the rest of the world just calls you lazy. To-may-to. To-mah-to, right?

They're driving you up the walls, and you're counting down the days until summer vacation is over. Welcome to normal, everyday motherhood! But hey, at least you're not alone in your insanity!

What are YOUR kids doing this summer? And what about YOU?

Replies

• ambergem
    July 27 at 2:07 AM

They're driving you up the walls, and you're counting down the days until summer vacation is over. Welcome to normal, everyday motherhood! But hey, at least you're not alone in your insanity!

Our first of four starts K this fall.  None of our kids have done Pre-K.  I teach them the basics myself.  I'm thinking he'll do well and it will stop as much rambunctiousness from him and his 4yo sister that really gets on the nerves. I signed up our 4yo and 3yo DD's for HeadStart.  We'll hear from them closer to the school year start as to if they are in or not.

• Barabell
    July 27 at 2:12 AM

It's a huge contradiction, but here are the two I'm between:

They're either at a playdate or in the back of your minivan, being shuttled to the next water park, with ice cream dripping down their cheeks ... because summer is for the children to have fun! We don't need to see the nail marks in your hands to know you're a martyr mom. The summer is indeed a fun time for kids, but it's OK to just tell them to go maketheir own fun once in awhile. Who knows, you might even find five seconds to do something for YOU.

--AND--

They're on the couch, playing video games, where they've been since school let out. Sometimes they get up and walk to the fridge. The kids call you the cool mom, but the rest of the world just calls you lazy. To-may-to. To-mah-to, right?

See, I work full time, but I'm also a sports mom to an active teen. We're usually telling him "no" to some activities because he wants to do so much. This year, it was golf and tennis that we said no to. The rest of his time, we're fine if he's hanging out playing video games or is at friend's houses....as long as he does his chores on time.

• JasonsMom2007
    July 27 at 2:16 AM
    I don't fall into any of those. We went on vacation, have done stuff together, we have busy days and days I tell them to just go play...
  • StreetsAhead
    July 27 at 2:36 AM
    None
    He's 14 he does what he likes, mostly he returns to be fed often with other odd looking teens.
    We go on holiday a lot and he gets shipped of to Germany for a fortnight.

The baby doesn't know it is summer so doesn't count
  • BonitaM
    by BonitaM
    July 27 at 10:36 AM

I don't fall under any of these.  We've gone to a few fairs, gone boating and fishing, visited my parents farm where DD takes her chores seriously, gone berry picking, played video games, she's done her own thing, she's visited with friends.  We try to have as much fun as possible but we are all dreading for school to start up again.  I love my mini adventures with DD.  Usually we do a small roadtrip or something too and we might still go camping but this summer has been quite tight. 

• hugss
    by hugss
    July 27 at 11:17 AM

Nothing now ;)

• jessi2girls
    July 27 at 12:22 PM

a mix and match, lol.. not so much playdates.. but we have been going to different parks throughout the summer, stopped for ice cream a few times.. been to the drive in.. to just letting them out to the back yard to splash around in their pool, riding their bikes (oldest just learned to ride with no training wheels, yeah!!)..

on rainy days we might take a lazy day indoors, 

and on grocery shopping days.. well, then I feel like I'm counting down until summer vacation is over, lol. 

• Izsarejman
    July 27 at 6:05 PM
    I just let them do what they're going to do. Most of the time they are outside at the playground or on their electronics. My 13 year old won't do anything. We moved to a new area a month ago and she doesn't know anyone. I take them roller skating 3 times a week. My parenting style is undefined. We just wing it.
  • SarahSuzyQ
    July 27 at 10:17 PM

None of these, really. We have a pretty good balance of family fun, outdoor activities, and down time. He's done some day camp programs, and we've had a getaway or two... Along with lazy afternoons at the beach, Lego time on his own, and programs at the public library.

Hm. Now I don't know what kind of mom I am! :)

• TristanMitchael
    July 27 at 10:49 PM
    They're driving you up the walls, and you're counting down the days until summer vacation is over. Welcome to normal, everyday motherhood! But hey, at least you're not alone in your insanity!

We do a lot of things but in between things they're driving me bananas. Idk what is is but this last week has been horrible!
Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN