Featured Posts
Janet
I got bad news yesterday.
by Janet
February 5 at 10:54 AM

Most of you know my mom is in rehab in the hospital for breaking her hip. Looks like she might get out next week. The doctor called and told me mom has Dementia and can't live by herself any more. She has been here for over a year while paying rent at her apartment. She is so upset over this it isn't funny. I figured she might be starting to get Dementia or that it was just part of her age. But I guess the fall made it worse and he said this is normal. This is going to be so stressful dealing with this. Having her here against her will and all.

Replies

• charleyangel317
    February 5 at 10:56 AM

My grandmother had alzheimers and we were told by the dr that (not only was she handicapped from strokes) but that it would be a good idea to join a support group to help deal with what we were getting into. It did help.

• Pammi86
    by Pammi86
    February 5 at 10:57 AM

I'm sorry.

• Janet
    by Janet
    February 5 at 12:58 PM

Thanks, my friend told me to research the subject. Rather than have my feelings hurt by mom because she hurt them. She said this is a disease and she can't help it. Her grandmother has it.

Quoting charleyangel317:

My grandmother had alzheimers and we were told by the dr that (not only was she handicapped from strokes) but that it would be a good idea to join a support group to help deal with what we were getting into. It did help.

• Janet
    by Janet
    February 5 at 12:59 PM

Thanks hun.

Quoting Pammi86:

I'm sorry.

• goddess99
    February 5 at 1:08 PM

It's so hard, I feel for you. My grandma has dementia, it's not easy dealing with her. She's in a nursing home now. My great grandma had it as well, she used to escape from her nursing home. They put an alarm on her and she would steal knives to cut it off and sneak out. She was a pistol! Loved that lady lol.

• Janet
    by Janet
    February 5 at 1:30 PM

Mom's not very bad. I hear they can give meds to slow it down. I sure hope so!

Quoting goddess99:

It's so hard, I feel for you. My grandma has dementia, it's not easy dealing with her. She's in a nursing home now. My great grandma had it as well, she used to escape from her nursing home. They put an alarm on her and she would steal knives to cut it off and sneak out. She was a pistol! Loved that lady lol.

• KenneMaw
    February 5 at 1:32 PM

Sorry.  Please be sure to reach out to those who can help you and don't feel like you have to do this on your own.  Dementia can be a very cruel disease for those who love the person. Hugs to you.

• Janet
    by Janet
    February 5 at 1:37 PM

Thanks, I will look into this. I'm afraid right now. I been crying. She and my brother are the only family I have. Not counting my husbands side of the family I mean.

Quoting KenneMaw:

Sorry.  Please be sure to reach out to those who can help you and don't feel like you have to do this on your own.  Dementia can be a very cruel disease for those who love the person. Hugs to you.

• Jinxed8
    by Jinxed8
    February 5 at 1:44 PM

My friend JUST went through this ... her mother fell and broke her hip and never recovered.  They also diagnosed her with dementia.   My friend took her in and cared for her until the end.  It was NOT an easy process for anyone, dementia is terrible.  They basically regress to a child like state, where they have to wear diapers, take naps, be fed and be under constant supervision and they don't remember something you told them 5 minutes prior some can get nasty and aggressive.  My friend's mom passed away a few days before Christmas last december.  very sad

I wish you the best, the next few months won't be easy.   

• Janet
    by Janet
    February 5 at 1:48 PM

Does it progress that fast?

Quoting Jinxed8:

My friend JUST went through this ... her mother fell and broke her hip and never recovered.  They also diagnosed her with dementia.   My friend took her in and cared for her until the end.  It was NOT an easy process for anyone, dementia is terrible.  They basically regress to a child like state, where they have to wear diapers, take naps, be fed and be under constant supervision and they don't remember something you told them 5 minutes prior some can get nasty and aggressive.  My friend's mom passed away a few days before Christmas last december.  very sad

I wish you the best, the next few months won't be easy.   

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts