Featured Posts
mandyd322
Baby proofing am i going to have a bare living room?
January 24 at 8:25 AM

so even as i write this i have gotten up 3 times to pick her up and put her back in the middle of the room. and that was just that sentence.  okay i have a crawler who just started and i don't want to hold her back by not letting her venture, so therefore i have began baby proofing, what i thought was okay, the things i pushed back under the coffee table, now just makes her climb into the coffee table and she would do it if i would let her. My parents came up this past weekend, and said eventually the coffee table and end tables would have to go. she climbs into them and they have really sharp corners and he said when she does start walking she could have her arm in one of those holes, fall and break it., i don't know even typing this is hard me, i want her to crawl and use her muscles but she goes everywhere i don't want her to , the front entrance which is dirty from the snowy mats, my hubby's chemical covered shoes, i get on my hands and needs and wipe the ( hold on she just crawled their agian) floor, but those nasty mats i don't want her touching them, maybe i can remove them during the day when i know no one will be coming in or out for awhile.  but what a pain in the ass to do that everytimeI DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO? i bought a gate but the damn thing don't even hold up right. Any advice on childproofing a home?

Replies

• 12yrmama
    January 24 at 8:43 AM

You have two choices: Keep redirecting her or turn your living room into a daycare (no pointy furniture and barricade the doorway).

Its up to you and how adventurous she is... I did a little of both. I simply can't remove all problem areas so I distract her from them- in front of my fireplace a pile of foam puzzels (I have to help get her started on them but now she knows that they are there). We have a wall oven so under that is the tupperware cabinet and I let her play in that so she doesn't grab the oven door.

On the other side I CAN'T spend all day distracting her and saying no. So pointy table is gone; after crawling comes walking and then she'll really get hurt! I like storage ottomans, we have one that we can flip the lid for a hard surface (for drinks) after she goes to bed at night.

• delanna6two
    January 24 at 9:29 AM

When mine were in that stage, I just had to end up clearing a path for them...removing the coffee table, etc., using plug protectors, blocking off anything I could to keep an open clear space....sometimes you can use a large chair or love seat to block openings to keep them from getting out or place the playpen across the opening...I have used that...but I had to watch them...they got to a point they could push past it....and I had to keep watch on them mostly all the time.

• Pammi86
    by Pammi86
    January 24 at 8:06 PM

I kept it simple when baby proofing but got rid of the coffee table and anything she could reach and break or harm her!

• goddess99
    January 24 at 8:17 PM

Try to find a different place for your dh to come in and take his stuff off, do you have a backdoor or another entrance your baby is not around? The rooms I had my dd in were pretty bare.

• WILDCATGAL78
    January 25 at 6:18 PM

I did a little bit of both too.. I put plugs in the outlets and got all cords out of reach. I cleared off the tops of the coffee and end tables. Other than that, I just redirect. So far she hasn't gotten into anything since she has been crawling and walking except for the bathroom and I just shut the door.

• caligirl7613
    January 25 at 8:50 PM
    i didnt really baby proof...kids need to learn boundries and natural consequences...plug covers, cords and chemicals of course...but i didnt do much else...if your really concerned about the corners on the tables get those foam corner things...
  • celestegood
    January 26 at 7:56 AM
    I am not huge into baby proofing. I just make sure there's nothing they could eat that would kill them-and they have made it fine. Of course, I do outlet covers, things like that. But nothing too huge.
  • Shelly126
    January 26 at 8:58 AM
    I didn't go too crazy with baby proofing but I have twin boys so I did enough that I could actually get things done and perhaps sit for a few minutes! Lol
    I did gate the stairs and gate the entrances to the kitchen, not to say I never let them in the kitchen but when I'm doing a lot of cooking and have the oven on and multiple burners going etc.....I don't need 4 extra hands to look after! In my living room I did replace my coffee table and end tables because they were wrought iron and glass with pointy edges, so I bought a large rectangular ottoman and a round wood end table. I removed things from the lower shelves in my book shelves and put pretty decorative baskets in them so I could use for quick toy clean ups. I also used furniture straps on some pieces, outlet covers and rearranged things a bit so cords were hidden and out of place for little hands. I did also use those doorknob covers too for the bathroom doors and for closet doors so they couldn't get into trouble if I blinked! Lol I just wanted a safe place so they could explore and I could do more than follow them around all day long. Trust me I still had to say no and teach them what they could and could not touch.
  • RyleighJane
    January 26 at 2:07 PM
    Our end tables and coffee table have rounded edges, although she jas climbed up on the end table once that was the only time and we redirected she hasnt tried since. I have the bigger toys she has in each corner area of the luving room sk she knows she has the whole area to play and her bin of toys are in a corner that she loves to gonplay jn and I dont worry if they arnt all in the bin bc its out of the way. I did block off the stairs and kitchen for now. We give her access to those when we have the time to watch her and the oven isnt on.
  • FlutterbyMom3
    January 26 at 5:41 PM
    Can you leave shoes and such outside the door?
Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN