Featured Posts
Cafe MichelleP
What Is Your Tree Decorating Style?
November 29, 2013 at 11:57 AM

From 'Breaking Bad' to Vintage Rudolph - An Ornament for Every Tree

by Tracy Odell 

awww yeah ornamentA person's Christmas tree says a lot about them. Mine is covered in colorful ornaments that run the gamut from gawdy (like that giant Jets football) to the precious (like that "First Christmas" ornament my grandfather gave me thirty {cough} years ago.) From the glittery-gluey handmades to the vintage treasures, they sure don't match, but they all have meaning of some kind.

Whatever your taste in decorating the tree, the ornaments you hang make a statement. And lucky for you, I've rounded up some ornaments at The Prowl that will help you put an exclamation point on that statement, whatever it may be.

I love buying ornaments that say something about the year that was. Every time you put the ornament on the tree, you'll remember a moment from the year you bought it. Little pop culture snapshots all over the tree. What will we remember 2013 for? Well, here are a few ideas...

2013 pop culture ornaments

Clockwise from left: Breaking Bad ornaments (Etsy, $34); What Does The Fox Say? ornament (Etsy, $18); Zombie ornaments (Etsy, $14); Meh ornament (Etsy, $10.50); Hey Girl ornament (Etsy, $12); Mustache ornaments (Fab, $10)

Maybe pop culture ornaments aren't your thang? You like your tree to look like one cohesive bundle of fir and glass. Here are some ornament sets that might be more up your alley...

ornament sets

Clockwise from left: All the Colors of the Rainbow Ornaments  (Land of Nod, $39); Milk Glass Globe Set (Terrain, $48); Lisa Congdon 12 Days of Christmas ornaments (Land of Nod, $24.95); Frilled Felt Ornament (Land of Nod, $4.95); Saint Lucia Snowflake Set (Anthropologie, $22)

Or maybe you're going for a vintage vibe this year? If so, you're in luck because there are a ton of really cute retro ornaments out this year.

vintage looking christmas ornaments

Clockwise from left: Retro Paper Ornament Set (Pottery Barn Kids, $12); Felt Fox ornaments (World Market, $19.96); Charlie Brown plastic Ornament (Target, $12); 2013 Silver-Plated Baby's Bootie (Pottery Barn, $19.50); Victorian Glass Mini Snowflakes (Restoration Hardware, $9); Deer Ornament (Target, $4)

Want more ornament inspiration? Check out my board Shiny,Happy Ornaments on The Prowl.

What's your tree decorating style?

Do you have a theme or anything goes?

Replies

• johnny4ever
    November 29, 2013 at 2:59 PM

I switch out my white & green tree every year.I also have a blue tree on my porch that I decorate with different stuff every year.Every year I also buy a new ornament and date it on the back.I have 4 favorite strings of homemade garland I adore!

• goddess99
    November 29, 2013 at 4:40 PM

I try to buy pieces that I really like and of course I have many years of personal and homemade ornaments. Plus our tree is huge so all those along with at least a hundred filler ornaments and it's an anything goes tree. I've had several different theme trees over the years but that was during my single, no child or pets and I had money stages of life lol those days are done.

• DixieL
    by DixieL
    November 29, 2013 at 4:46 PM

First the lights. My husband puts them on. I love as many lights as we can get on the tree. Next the gold garland. Ny husband does that too. We always have a big tree, and I can't reach the top. Then the rest. The colored balls, the crystal icicles, bows, and anything else I see that i like. I do that part. My husband puts the star on top of the tree. I have to job of taking the tree down. That always makes me sad, because the tree is so beautiful. We used to have real trees, but my son and husband both have asthma, so we switched to fake trees.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN