johnny4ever
Booster Seat Shocker Must Read....
November 12, 2013 at 7:56 AM

When I find out who heads up the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, I may have to kiss him (or her!) on the mouth. The folks who deal with all things safe in the car have come out with a suggestion that many kids should remain in a booster seat until -- get this -- 12 years old!

And to that I say thank you! It's about time somebody said it!

Not so happy? Maybe you're one of those parents who just couldn't wait to get their kid out of a booster seat?

I feel you; I really do. They are a pain in the tuchas, especially when your kid is legally old enough to be sitting in the regular car seat. Unfortunately, what the state says is OK isn't always the safest thing for kids.

More From The StirPutting Your Child in a Booster Seat Too Soon Could Have Tragic Consequences

In my state, my 8-year-old is legally approved for a regular adult safety belt. But the National Highway Traffic Safety Association reserves the car's regular seat belts for "children who reach a height of 4 feet 9 inches before their eighth birthday." Guess what? My 8-year-old is nowhere near 4 feet 9 inches.

Going booster-less is legal for my kid. But it isn't necessarily safe, and moms like me face a stigma when we keep our kids in the seats.

There are judgy moms and grandparents who look at us like we're over-bearing and over-cautious. Then there are the bratty little snots who come up with gems like "My mom says I don't have to sit in a booster seat anymore. You must be a little baby!" and make you want to kick them out of the carpool.

We're treated like WE'RE the problem.

But we're not.

The problem is bad information.

A kid doesn't magically age out of a booster at age 8. It turns out car crashes are a leading cause of death for children ages 1 to 13. But the IIHS reports that kids in boosters -- the data is of kids ages 4 to 8 because those are the ages of most kids currently using them -- are 45-percent less likely to be injured in a motor vehicle crash.

Keep kids in boosters longer, and we could keep more kids alive.

To me, it's a no-brainer.

How long is your child going to be in a booster. Would they make it until 12?

Replies

• goddess99
    November 12, 2013 at 8:12 AM

My dd is 11 and 5'4" I already let her ride in the front seat. She's taller than all her teachers and grandparents. There isn't a front seat law in MI.

• Cafe MichelleP
    November 12, 2013 at 8:59 AM

My son is almost 9 and 50lbs. He sits in the back seat in a booster seat. It is the safest place for him.

• .Angelica.
    November 12, 2013 at 10:16 AM

my son will probably stay in his booster until 4'9".

• Mom2jngnc
    November 12, 2013 at 10:17 AM

This is going to continue going up by age until states step up and make a height weight based law. 

My 6th grader, in middle school... just reached the point where he came out it. A month shy of 11 years old. 

My 6 yr old is still in his 5 point, my 7 yr old niece is in a HBB, although I would prefer her in a 5 point.

It is what is safest! Not what is popular. Safest means the seatbelt fits you correctly. 

• ambermario4ever
    November 12, 2013 at 10:18 AM

My oldest 7 is still in a booster and will be till I feel she is safe not to be. So she most likly will be in till 12 if that is what is recommended. My youngest 4 almost five is still in a five point harness and will be till he out grows it then he will move to a booster. 

• MommyOfOne2710
    November 12, 2013 at 10:19 AM
    I don't know yet, because my son just turned 3 and he's already 42" tall, so 3' 6". And he just keeps growing.
  • mylilprincesses
    November 12, 2013 at 10:19 AM
    I go by the law and do my own research on what I as their mother think is best. My daughter is 5 and the size of a 6yr old..she is in a high back booster only. They will continue to be in the back seat for as long as I want them to be.
  • JasonsMom2007
    November 12, 2013 at 10:21 AM
    My 6 year old is 4 ft and still in a booster. He will be until he passes the 5 step test. My 9 year old niece is still in one as well.
  • MarriedYoung
    November 12, 2013 at 10:23 AM
    Mine will not be in a booster till 12 unless it becomes law in the next 11 years (my oldest is 1). Sorry I'm one of the "uninformed" ones that won't do it.
  • rhiannonaisling
    November 12, 2013 at 10:24 AM

All of my kids are out of booster seats. They are 4'10", 5'1", and 5'5" at ages 11, 12, and 15 and the older two have been over 4'9" since 9 and 10 yo. The youngest was in a booster until 6 months ago. Only my 15yo dd is allowed to sit in the front seat...my rule is 5'2" to sit in the front seat.