Featured Posts
CB3arr
Soup Bone?
by CB3arr
September 30, 2013 at 11:08 AM

We bought a quarter cow from a local ranch and in the assortment of cuts we got a soup bone.  I don't know what to do with it.  Obviously- make soup, but how does one make soup from a soup bone?  Anybody done this before and can give me step by step instructions?

Replies

• almburr
    by almburr
    September 30, 2013 at 11:10 AM
    You slow cook it with veggies and herbs to make stock
  • neveragain17
    September 30, 2013 at 11:11 AM
    When you make your soup put the bone in the pot.. When the broth boils it gets flavor from the bone. Well at lest that's what my grandma says lol
  • CB3arr
    by CB3arr
    September 30, 2013 at 11:18 AM

So you add the bone to broth or water and the bone makes it broth?

Quoting neveragain17:

When you make your soup put the bone in the pot.. When the broth boils it gets flavor from the bone. Well at lest that's what my grandma says lol

• CB3arr
    by CB3arr
    September 30, 2013 at 2:03 PM

bump

• Jinxed8
    by Jinxed8
    September 30, 2013 at 2:48 PM

You just boil it with all your soup ingredients and it adds a lot of flavor.  I used to buy quarters from a rancher as well and used to get soup bones all the time.  Once your soup is done, the bone will be softer, cool it down and give it to your dog if you have one.  My dog Mandy used to go crazy over those bones!!

• bahamamama61
    September 30, 2013 at 5:30 PM
    You can put it in with beans, also:)
  • Janet
    by Janet
    September 30, 2013 at 6:11 PM

This.

Quoting Jinxed8:

You just boil it with all your soup ingredients and it adds a lot of flavor.  I used to buy quarters from a rancher as well and used to get soup bones all the time.  Once your soup is done, the bone will be softer, cool it down and give it to your dog if you have one.  My dog Mandy used to go crazy over those bones!!

• jett286
    by jett286
    September 30, 2013 at 6:18 PM

I would use it to make beef stock, which then you can make soup or gravy with.  I don't know the weight of your soup bone but I think you can make a quart of stock with your average soup bone.  

1 Cup diced onion

1/2 cup diced celery

1/2 cup diced carrot

1 quart water

and the soup bone

a few parsely leaves, a bay leaf, clove of garlic.  Bring all ingredients to a boil, then simmer for 4-6 hours on low heat.  Cool and strain the liquid.  Now you have a base for a beef soup, sauce or gravy.  You can do whatever you want with it and you can freeze it to use later too.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN