Featured Posts
momofsunshine77
chaos
September 29, 2013 at 2:14 PM

kinda, but really need advice PLEASE!!!

I have a 2 1/2 and 4 1.2 year olf dd.  They both still take naps and if they dont they are CRANKY!!!

My problem is when we go somewhere in the morning, like church or MOPS or story times, etc, they get worn out and fall asleep in the car.  When we get home they wake up and won't go to bed or stay asleep - even if I carry them from the car.  So, they sleep for like 10-20 minutes instead of their normal 1-2 hour naps.  Then they are CRANKY the rest of the day. 

Does anyone have any advice on how to keep them awake in the car to sleep at home or to get them to stay asleep when I get home?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. 

Thanks in advance

Replies

• clairewait
    September 29, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Omigosh, this is me, right at the 1 year mark when I'm transitioning my babes from 2 naps down to one.

I put one kid in charge of keeping the other awake!

I jingle the keys in their faces, play loud music, open the windows.

But, in the end, when nothing else works, I just leave earlier so it doesn't happen.

You might want to try bumping their normal naptime to like 1 or 2pm, so they aren't hitting that tired time so early. Normally noon is doable for us (once we get over the 2-1 nap hump).

But I totally know what you mean. That ten minute power nap KILLS the afternoon.

Luckily I have a 9mo right now who seems unphased by it, so I just let him sleep. He'll nap as long as he's not hungry, so I just go home, stuff him full of lunch, and put him back down.

• celestegood
    September 30, 2013 at 12:54 AM
    Yeah, I hate that. My three and a half year old does it, and its annoying.
    Just talk to them, etc....and do your best to keep them awake.
  • celestegood
    September 30, 2013 at 12:55 AM
    Yep! I have done the keep him awake thing.

Quoting clairewait:

Omigosh, this is me, right at the 1 year mark when I'm transitioning my babes from 2 naps down to one.

I put one kid in charge of keeping the other awake!

I jingle the keys in their faces, play loud music, open the windows.

But, in the end, when nothing else works, I just leave earlier so it doesn't happen.

You might want to try bumping their normal naptime to like 1 or 2pm, so they aren't hitting that tired time so early. Normally noon is doable for us (once we get over the 2-1 nap hump).

But I totally know what you mean. That ten minute power nap KILLS the afternoon.

Luckily I have a 9mo right now who seems unphased by it, so I just let him sleep. He'll nap as long as he's not hungry, so I just go home, stuff him full of lunch, and put him back down.

• .Peaches.
    September 30, 2013 at 6:54 AM

My nephew is like that- if he wakes up mid-nap, its very hard for him to function, he's just crabby.

So when I have him, what I do is make him stay in his room if he's woken up mid-nap. I tell him he doesn't have to go back to sleep, but that its his quiet time, so he needs to stay in his room. Within 20 minutes, he's usually passed right back out. Sometimes he cries and throws a fit, but he'll get over it.

• goddess99
    September 30, 2013 at 8:16 AM

I used to have this problem too. Honestly, I would go for a long drive so my dd would continue to sleep or once we got home I would just stay in the car with her. Idk if these ideas would work for you. I was a single mom so I didn't have to take anyone else into consideration.

• Janet
    by Janet
    September 30, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Some kids are like that. I went through that too.

• Jinxed8
    by Jinxed8
    October 1, 2013 at 9:38 AM

my DD would fall asleep through loud music, open windows, car rides, someone talking on a loud speaker ... I would do my best, once she was asleep to try to keep her asleep for at least an hour.   I would try to work my schedule around her naps. Otherwise yes there would be a cranky kid around and that just ruins your whole day

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts