GleeFan
Disney Tells Disabled Guest to "Wait in Line"!
by GleeFan
September 23, 2013 at 11:28 PM

I read earlier today that Disney was going to overhaul their policies for guests with disabilities to curb abuse.

Earlier this year there was a story about wealthy New Yorkers who hire people with disabilites to go to the Disney parks with them, so they can line jump to the front. Instead of waiting in line for say 2 hours for an attraction, it can be a matter of minutes in wait time.

People were of course upset about this and I guess Disney took notice because they are no longer going to allow people with disabilities to line jump. Instead they are going to be more consistent and offer something like the Fast Pass that all guests can access.

Now advocates and families of people with disabilites are upset about the changes brought on by those who abused the system.

What are your thoughts? Do you think it is fair of Disney to essentially punish all persons with disabilites for the abuse of a few?
Do you think that people with disabilities should get preferential treatment or should they have to wait in line like everyone else?

Replies

• paknari
    by paknari
    September 23, 2013 at 11:31 PM
    I say good for them. Sorry but people
    Will abuse every privilege. I've heard of these groups and you were able to hire your guides. It's terrible.
  • JasonsMom2007
    September 23, 2013 at 11:32 PM
    I think they should only allow immediate members of the disabled person's family to line jump with them. There's no way we'll go to Disney now. We were debating on it with the pass because we were afraid it would be too overstimulating. Without there's no way. Six flags is tough on busy days I can't imagine Disney!
  • johnny4ever
    September 24, 2013 at 7:20 AM
    Agreed

Quoting paknari:

I say good for them. Sorry but people

Will abuse every privilege. I've heard of these groups and you were able to hire your guides. It's terrible.
  • AspensMama1537
    September 24, 2013 at 7:24 AM
    Honestly I never understood why they got to jump to the front of the line in the first place. I never minded, but I never understood it.
  • Cozie_Sisika458
    September 24, 2013 at 7:29 AM
    Sorry everyone pays the same to get it these places and I think everyone should have the same rules to follow. Just because someone has a disability or SN kids don't mean my child should be punished for not being that. And dont most things get screwed up because of a few who abuse it? What don't everyone put PA people in the same category whether they abuse it or not?
  • goddess99
    September 24, 2013 at 7:30 AM

I was just at Disney and the lines weren't hours long. Either go off peak or get a fast pass like everyone else.

• delanna6two
    September 24, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Well, that's a challenge....Sounds like since they can't really tell who's doing what, they've had to cut everyone off.

• MidwestMama55
    September 24, 2013 at 9:23 AM

I think everyone should have to wait in line, or use a FastPass. Same rules for everyone, with one exception - things like Make a Wish for children dying of terminal diseases. In that case, i'm fine with that child and thier family skipping the line. Otherwise.... sorry.  Going to a theme park and having a "magical day" is not a right.

• Jinxed8
    by Jinxed8
    September 24, 2013 at 9:50 AM

I'm going to be the devil's advocate here but why is it that if you're in a wheel chair you can't wait like everyone else ?   Any parents who's waited 1 hour in line for any ride at any park with a whiny 4 year old, knows it's hell.   I understand however, giving a person with a handicap more time to embark and disembark a ride, or get on first within their ride group but If you can't handle the lines, the wait, or whatever, sorry but don't go to a theme park !!  You don't want to wait in line buy a speed pass or what ever they are called. 

• heather77g
    September 24, 2013 at 10:01 AM

It's sad to know the system gets abused like it does. But unfortunately with todays society everything has to be equal (whether disabled or not) So I agree with Disney for offering the Fast Pass & the off-peak options as well.

Im sure a big portion of the people complaining are the ones who hire disabled people to go with them.