Featured Posts
VIVXI
Fragile X syndrome ETA
by VIVXI
September 7, 2013 at 3:16 PM

My brother (31) has it, and I read that its a gene the parents carry and can pass on to their kids. I'm not sure if I am a carrier (my mom is, and her Father), and it worries me because I have a DD (2) currently, but I want another child someday and I am worried that I could pass fragile x to my next child. 

Anyone familiar with it? 

He is my half brother, from my moms side.

Replies

• VIVXI
    by VIVXI
    September 7, 2013 at 3:24 PM

BUMP!

• MistressMinerva
    September 7, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Never heard of it.

• scraphappy12
    September 7, 2013 at 3:42 PM
    I have, I believe it's the number one cause of autism that is genetic (I'm not sure i said that right). You can be tested as can your child. Talk to your doctor about it. I believe males are more symptomatic than females (again not sure if I am saying that right)
  • PinkButterfly66
    September 7, 2013 at 3:54 PM

I've heard of it.  Will your insurance cover testing of it?

• celestegood
    September 7, 2013 at 4:09 PM
    I hope you find out if you are a carrier.
  • Sally_Nada
    September 7, 2013 at 7:24 PM

The best thing you can do at this time is have yourself tested, rule it in or rule it out.  Make sure they run the DNA test (chromosome analysis should NOT be used, produces too many false negatives). There is also a newer test available details at: http://www.nomoresouthernblots.com/

If you have any problems getting the test done, message me, there is a research study (just questions on you menstural cycle) that you could enroll in and part of the study is a test for fragile X, only thing is it might take about six months to turn the results around.  

To learn more, visit fragilex.org and fraxa.org

Good luck and hugs, Sally

• romalove
    September 7, 2013 at 7:26 PM

My mother's first cousin has two boys with Fragile X.  His wife, as it turns out, had a brother with it, but that was never divulged to anyone.  If he had known, they wouldn't have had any kids, let alone two.  They are both in their early 30s now and live in group homes.

I would definitely test for it before going ahead with more children.  Good luck to you.

• VIVXI
    by VIVXI
    September 7, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Would him being my half-brother make any genetic difference?

Quoting romalove:

My mother's first cousin has two boys with Fragile X.  His wife, as it turns out, had a brother with it, but that was never divulged to anyone.  If he had known, they wouldn't have had any kids, let alone two.  They are both in their early 30s now and live in group homes.

I would definitely test for it before going ahead with more children.  Good luck to you.

• romalove
    September 7, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Quoting VIVXI:

Would him being my half-brother make any genetic difference?

Quoting romalove:

Maybe.  If the gene is from the parent you're not related to, then you'd be OK. 

Get tested.  :-)

• johnny4ever
    September 7, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Yes my cousins wife was warned she shouldnt have anymore kids well she did and he has fragile x.He is 9 and just got out of diapers and needs sign language to communicate.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts