Featured Posts
CampClan
18 years ago this weekend...(reminiscing)
August 31, 2013 at 11:52 AM

I made one of the hardest, but ultimately best, decisions of my life. I chose to walk away from a "man" I thought I loved. All because I was 2 months pregnant & he felt we were too young to be parents (I just turned 20 years old & he was only 19). I had packed everything I owned to move from Ohio to Kansas to be with this guy. 18 years ago this weekend I flew from Kansas to Ohio for a visit & told my parents when I went back to Kansas I was packing my stuff & moving back home within a matter of 2 months. They agreed to take the 15 hour drive out there so they could help me move back (I didn't have a car then). I did not tell them I was pregnant at that time.

It took me another month to tell then- via a letter I mailed home when I went back. Even though he had no clue I would be leaving him- my ex didn't greet me at the airport. I had to call a good friend of his to come get me. The airport was in Kansas City, MO- we lived in Topeka, KS. So it was a good 3 hour drive to the airport & then another 3 back. 

While I was home over Labor Day weekend I ran into my high school best guy friend. I cried on his shoulder & told him he was right about the guy I was leaving. He was pissed. He wanted to kill the guy. Two months later, when I moved back home, best guy friend was there for me. He cried with me, told me he would be there for me, & that he loved me. 

It just amazes me how much my life has changed over the past 18 years. That best guy friend & I got married 3 years after my DS was born. We were together for 13 years after that, had 4 more kids together. Now, my DS is 17 & 1/2 years old, a senior in high school, a leader in the youth group, plays on the Varsity soccer team for the school, & has a girlfriend who we adore & have known since they were both 4 years old.

God was definitely been good to us & we can not deny the great things He has done in our lives. Leaving my DS's father may have been the hardest thing to do for me at that time- but it certainly was the best.

Replies

• mmtosam06
    August 31, 2013 at 10:44 PM
    That is awesome
  • Janet
    by Janet
    August 31, 2013 at 10:56 PM
    Thanks for sharing.
  • johnny4ever
    September 1, 2013 at 7:29 AM

Nice!

• c_ramirez8606
    September 1, 2013 at 9:47 AM

That's an amazing story. I'm happy you walked away from the wrong guy. It gave you the chance to find the right guy.

• goddess99
    September 1, 2013 at 10:37 AM

That's great!! Good for you =)

• CampClan
    September 1, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Eh- he wasn't the right guy either. We ended up divorced after 13 years of marriage & 4 more kids. But he was the right guy to have more kids with. I think our kids are pretty darn awesome & who knows- they may not have turned out like that with someone else's genes. LOL

Quoting c_ramirez8606:

That's an amazing story. I'm happy you walked away from the wrong guy. It gave you the chance to find the right guy.

• LadyMarissa
    September 1, 2013 at 5:01 PM

I've been there also.  What I initially perceived as the worst day of my life lead me to the BEST thing that ever happened in my life!!! 

Isn't it a WONDERFUL feeling???

• splatz
    by splatz
    September 1, 2013 at 6:57 PM

I think often times some of the hardest things we have to go through end up being the best things for us in the long run. 

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts