Last night my family had dinner over at the neighbors, and for them, it was their first ever “school night”. In the morning, their oldest child would be attending her first day of kindergarten. Tomorrow would be her (first) first day of school.
I could tell both my friend and daughter were excited yet nervous. Not knowing what to expect, but optimistically expecting nothing but the best. My friend asked me if I had any advice for her - knowing I had been down this very road myself, not too long ago.
Did I have advice for her? Of course I had advice for her!
To be taken with a grain of salt of course...
1. Prep as much as you can the night before, so mornings run smoothly. Lay uniforms out, prep lunches, make sure homework is complete, and always know where the school shoes are.
2. Serve a good, nutrient dense breakfast. With the start of school - my girls are now getting up earlier, and eating lunch later. Plus, no snacks throughout the day like there is at home. In order to avoid late morning sugar crashes, I bulk them up in the morning - so they can last (and learn!) throughout the day.
3. It’s ok if the first day of school isn’t the BEST! DAY! EVER! For my girls, there was an adjustment period to both the new routine and being away from me for so many hours of the day. This too shall pass....eventually.
4. Early to bed. In the summer - we're lazy about the kids bedtimes and they varry. But during the school year when we need to be on-time to class? We go to bed at 8pm - and we stick as closly to the clock as we can.
5. Discuss the school day over a snack. Once off the bus, I always ask my girls what the best part of their school day was. I cannot believe all the things I learn (both good and bad) about what goes on in their classroom and on the playground by simply asking the same question each and every day.
How about you? Do you have any advice to give to a family getting ready to start their (first) first day of school?
Read about the Chevy Traverse at #TraverseTested.
by sukainahAugust 26, 2013 at 11:04 AM
That's good advice. I guess I did a lot of making sure they listened to the teacher and about riding the bus and how to try and introduce yourself to other kids.
by mum_of_ianAugust 26, 2013 at 11:22 AM
We just alked about it a lot. Made sure we were prepared with everything to have a successful yuear.
by dusky_roseAugust 26, 2013 at 12:55 PM
Great advice! I can't think of anything to add.
August 26, 2013 at 1:24 PM
No, this my DD's first year of being at school all day.
by KmakksmomAugust 26, 2013 at 1:49 PM
This is great advice :)
by LuLuRexAugust 26, 2013 at 2:22 PM
That's all good advice!