Featured Posts
newwifenmom
Educate me please
August 15, 2013 at 5:03 PM

On the differences, etc with headstart, private programs, preschool, etc. If someone could tell me what the mission and goals for these different programs are that would be great. I've been my son's only teacher thusfar but I'd like to send him to school in the next year only I don't want him to be just babysat but I don't want a very rigorous program either. I'd like him to be challenged. Does anyone find that daycare for their 3 yr old is challenging enough?

Replies

• PinkButterfly66
    August 15, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Preschool programs these days concentrate on socialization, following directions, learning to focus and sit still to finish a task, colors, shapes and handwriting upper AND lower case letters and numbers.  My daughter attended a private preschool for 3 days a week when she was 4 and she was totally ready for kindergarten with the preschool under her belt and me reading to her every day at home since she was a baby.  She was already beginning to recognise favorite words like "butterfly".  By the time the 1st parent/teacher conference came along in October, she was declared a reader by her teacher. Could have blown me over with a feather, but I was tickled pink too!

• johnny4ever
    August 15, 2013 at 7:28 PM

My sons Preschool was great!They did alot of focus,shapes,colors,manners & socialization.My son was very shy this really helped him!

• Janet
    by Janet
    August 16, 2013 at 3:44 PM

They are all pretty good these days. You may have to check the individual day care.

• almburr
    by almburr
    August 16, 2013 at 3:48 PM
    Stay away from Head Start.
  • Pammi86
    by Pammi86
    August 17, 2013 at 1:02 AM

Preschool is basically getting them ready for school!

• MommyBL
    by MommyBL
    August 17, 2013 at 1:39 AM

I currently have my daughter enrolled in the "Early Learning Center" at a church. It's a small program ranging from 2-5 with 3 classrooms. My daughter started at the beginning of the year (Jan. '13), she turned 3 in June. When she started I felt like she wasn't very challenged, most of the stuff she brought home was coloring pages of numbers. But she did a lot of art projects, and it was more important for me that she was getting the social interaction away from Mommy than anything. At that time her class was the "2's & 3's", I guess younger 3's. This year she should be in a different classroom with a different teacher and I'm thinking it will seem more "accomplished". I'm hoping to enroll her into the pre-school program through the public school's next year when she's 4, but they give priority to families on food stamps, TSA, etc. so I don't know if we'd get enrolled in this area as we do not qualify for all that stuff but I live in an area where a lot of people do. 

• emaylerocks76
    August 17, 2013 at 7:55 AM

Private programs and "preschool" are generally day cares, where I come from.  Headstart is in line with the school systems and generally has more educational opportunities for the children that are in them. 

• mamavalor
    August 17, 2013 at 8:00 AM

Go visit all the different programs where you want to send your child to.  We explored all our options and found the best match for our kids.  A match that would allow them to grow happily as learners and friends.

• newwifenmom
    August 17, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Okay, good idea.

Quoting mamavalor:

Go visit all the different programs where you want to send your child to.  We explored all our options and found the best match for our kids.  A match that would allow them to grow happily as learners and friends.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN