Featured Posts
Cafe MichelleP
Mom Hoping for a Daughter Gives Birth to Her 12th Son
August 7, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Mom Hoping for a Daughter Gives Birth to Her 12th Son

by Nicole Fabian-Weber

it's a boyI've known many women or men in my day who have their hearts set on a child of a specific sex. They desperately want a girl or are dying for a boy. And sometimes, it doesn't work out the first go 'round, so they try again. Then, on occasion, it doesn't work out the second go 'round, so they try again. Then maybe, if it still hasn't worked out and they still have their hearts set on a son or a daughter, they'll try one more time. And if it doesn't pan out then, seems like they typically call it. Not Kateri and Jay Schwandt. In their quest to have a girl, Kateri just gave birth to their 12th child. And guess what? Like their 11 other babies, he's a boy, too!

Could you imagine?

Tucker Ray Schwandt was born on August 4, and like his 11 older brothers, he was a surprise. "We didn't know what he would be when he was first born," Kateri said. "We don't find out. It's always a boy, but it's always a surprise." Her husband Jay added: "I never imagined I'd be sitting here with my 12th child."

Yes, this little boy is precious and cherished and amazing like their other children, but it's hard to not feel a little bad for the parents here. Especially the mom. Not only is she ridiculously outnumbered, I'm sure there are days when she just wants to buy a dang foo-foo dress and a hair bow. And the noise, oh the noise! If there's one thing little boys are good at, it's running around and making lots of noise! "Sometimes I feel like I'm living in a locker room," Kateri said. Poor woman!

The couple, shockingly, hasn't ruled out trying for one more baby. Maybe the 13th "will be the charm," Jay said. I say go for it. I mean, from a mathematical standpoint, their next kid has to be a girl. Right?

How crazy is this? Did you or your partner have your heart set on either a boy or a girl?

Replies

• Noni2319
    August 7, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Wow! I hope they get their girl. 

Neither of us had a preference.

• Maks1mommy
    August 7, 2013 at 1:29 PM
    I just heard about that on the news yesterday.
  • rgba
    by rgba
    August 7, 2013 at 1:30 PM
    If you listen to the video, the mom is very careful not to say that she wants a girl. I'm glad.
  • celestegood
    August 7, 2013 at 1:32 PM
    Lol I'm right there with her, although with four boys. We are trying one more time for a daughter. We'll see if we get one. I hope so.
  • celestegood
    August 7, 2013 at 1:33 PM
    Lol I understand her. I just want a healthy child first and foremost. A girl would be nice though. But if I end up with five boys, I'm ok with that:)

Quoting rgba:

If you listen to the video, the mom is very careful not to say that she wants a girl. I'm glad.
  • celestegood
    August 7, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Quoting Noni2319:

Wow! I hope they get their girl. 

Neither of us had a preference.

• celestegood
    August 7, 2013 at 1:34 PM
    I do hope they get their girl.
  • Jinxed8
    by Jinxed8
    August 7, 2013 at 1:34 PM

I knew someone who wanted to "keep the surprise" but was so convinced she was pregnant with a girl that when the doctor told her it was a boy her reaction was "NO, it's a girl"  (lovely!) 

I'm sorry I just don't get people like that ... 12 children ... wow. And she'll keep trying untils he gets a girl ?

• SlapItHigh
    August 7, 2013 at 1:44 PM
    Cool story! I hate the the author made it seem like they are just having all these babies just to try for a girl. That's not true! She is a devout Catholic and that us why she keeps growing her blessings!
  • splatz
    by splatz
    August 7, 2013 at 2:25 PM

That is a TON of kids. Sort of sad she hasn't gotten a girl. Maybe they will decide to adopt one. :)

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN