Featured Posts
mom_to_kenzie
melatonin?
July 31, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Last week at dd's well child visit, her doc gave us the option of melatonin. I know what it is, but I'm curious about how it's worked for other moms.

Background on dd. We've always had sleep issues with her. Bedtime has always been at 8 pm, and we've always done a bedtime routine. She just doesn't go to sleep. She's in and out of our room 20 different times with 20 different excuses. That's not the issues..the issue is that it'll be 11 o'clock at night and she's still awake. It's like she just stays wound up. I brought it up at her 4 year well child visit, and we decided to wait a year and see how she did with preschool and if that would wear her out. It did a little, but we still had the sleep issues.

The doc gave us the option of melatonin, but also said we could wait and see how she does with kindergarten. She wants us to know what our options are. It would only be 1 milligram of melatonin if we went that route. I really don't want to use medicine to get her to sleep---I do understand that we produce melatonin, so it's not necessarily medicating, but still...I just don't know what to do otherwise. If it keeps up, she's going to be struggling to get up and get ready for school. Most days she's really crabby and it makes for a hard day anyway because she needs more sleep.

What are your experiences with it?

Replies

• glittergrape01
    August 1, 2013 at 2:48 AM
    My sons dr suggested the same thing and it works great for us. It helps him calm down and get sleepy.
  • goddess99
    August 1, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Bump, don't know anything about it.

• katyq
    by katyq
    August 1, 2013 at 4:06 PM

I take 9-12 mg most nights. I love it. I sleep soundly and am never groggy the next day like with sleeping pills. I say go for it. 

• luvmybug
    August 1, 2013 at 6:05 PM
    My dd,9, takes melatonin 20mins before bed. I have always had sleep issues with her, similar to yours. But ever since I have been taking her on evening walks and having her take the melatonin, she has been sleeping better and has a better mood throughout the day.
  • psychomama05
    August 1, 2013 at 11:30 PM

I have two that have chronic insomnia and we use melatonin regularly.  We've never had any issues and they only need a very small amount.

• SAMandy
    by SAMandy
    August 2, 2013 at 8:35 AM
    My dd's doc put her on it for 3 months until her sleep regulated. Worked beautifully. Being a naturopathic med, I had no issue with her taking it. After 3 months, her sleep cycles could regulate themselves.
  • SlapItHigh
    August 2, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Haven't tried it but I hear mixed experiences.

• honeygram4
    August 3, 2013 at 10:15 AM

We used it for years with my ds, as he had ADHD and was wound up until midnight or later each night. Now that he is 18 he chose himself not to take it as he does not want to take any medicine. I worry about him as he looks exhausted most days, but he is adamant. I think melatonin is produced in our bodies naturally so what is the problem, I have to take extra vitamin D and look at it as the same way. Hopefully it will work well for you. Good luck!

• jessie1973
    August 3, 2013 at 4:15 PM
    It is naturally produced in your body however; some people's make more than others. My son takes 3mg at bedtime as he has ADHD and the meds he is on make sleeping difficult. I also work in a group home & a gentleman whom I support takes it in a dissolveable strip form. This may work really well for your daughter if she doesn't like to take pills.
  • Mama_Gillogley
    August 3, 2013 at 4:21 PM

my son takes it every now and then, on the bottle it tells you to make sure and take breaks from it. i also make sure and do a bedtime routine with him when i can, i work swing shift so our routine only happens twice a week and he only gets melatonin if he is super wired and bouncy when bedtime is approaching. I used to have the same problem of him not staying in bed, getting up multiple times and waking up in the middle of the night. he did get better with time and i was able to back off the melatonin quite a bit. i started using it when he switched from crib to toddler bed, but now he's more used to his toddler bed. best of luck! i know lots of nurses who use it for their kids just don't over do it and you should be fine. :)

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts