Pacaa9305
My husband thinks I should never have "me" time?
July 26, 2013 at 9:49 PM
I have 3 kids at home, and work full time. I do not drink or party, I'm 40 yrs old, so been there, done all that. All my mom friends have monthly gatherings at each others houses to hang out, and everyone brings a dish to eat. Or if there is a birthday, I may get an invite to go out to dinner with some girlfriends. My husband completely disagrees that I should ever want to be away from my children, even for 2 hours. He gives me guilt trips and tries to make me feel like a bad mom. He has no friends or desire to go anywhere other than work, so he doesn't understand why I might need a break. Am I wrong?

Replies

• dcarter31
    July 27, 2013 at 12:56 AM

I think everyone one needs a little time to their self sometimes kids always come first but I always try and remind myself I'm a better person and mother when I take a second to have some me time.So I dont think your wrong .Good luck :)

• Spoiled_Blonde
    July 27, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Uh.... If my hubby did that to me I would probably leave him. Ok maybe not leave him but we would have a serious talk. That is ridiculous that your hubby is like that. Every mom needs time to be herself and have "me" time. I'm sorry you are going through this. My dh and I have never had an issue like that before. We have 4 vacations a year, 2 are family, one is just dh and I the other is he gets a week long boys only week and I get a week long girls only week. I don't think you are wrong at all. I agree with the previous post. Good luck =)

Edit: Also I have me time every 2 weeks when I get my nails done and every 4 weeks when I get my hair done.. He even drops me off for my hair because its my bestie who does it and we really like wine... lol

• CARGPSMARRER
    July 27, 2013 at 1:53 PM

No you are not wrong!!!!! The only advice I can think of to stop his behaviors, other than calling it quits on your marriage. smh, Do a little research on the benefits of you both having, "Me time". Get professional advice from forums and outlets on the internet and print out the one(s) you find that will reach him on his level (of understanding). If you don't making a me, me, me, me, me conversation (not saying you have done that) that may make it easier for you to persuade him to your way of thinking. Also you can find somethings on how Mom's feel when someone does what they can to make them feel like a bad mom. I think it's worth the try in order to stop being made to feel like a bad mom! 

• whitleypittman
    July 27, 2013 at 1:56 PM
    Mine tried that, and saw how short a fuse i have if i don't get any me time. Now he tries to find things to help me get that me time.
  • Natashaxo
    July 27, 2013 at 2:16 PM

ooh well well well SAME HERE... im only 20 and im a SAHM to 2 kids.. and i never get me time.. even when my man is home he dont allow me to go to the damn corner store, yeah its nice to go get your nails done sometimes or hair done but in my situation he dont let me because he dont want me leaving the kids plus i breastfeed so he makes that as an excuse...not even for half an hour or an hour .. i had to figure out how to pamper myself at home so when the kids sleep thats when i have my me time.. 

• MistressMinerva
    July 27, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Your not wrong at all.

• CampClan
    July 27, 2013 at 3:21 PM

No you are not wrong at all. My ex use to consider my "me" time" as running to the grocery kid free or going out to grab dinner without the kids. Yeah... that is NOT "me time"!

• goddess99
    July 27, 2013 at 6:26 PM

No you're not wrong. I hope you can get him to understand you need a break sometimes.

• splatz
    by splatz
    July 27, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Maybe he just doesn't realize it because he doesn't do that himself? I think that time is totally a normal desire of parents & needed. 

• Janet
    by Janet
    July 27, 2013 at 9:14 PM
    Your not wrong. All moms need a break. It makes us better mothers when we get them too.