Pacaa9305
My husband thinks I should never have "me" time?
July 26, 2013 at 9:49 PM
I have 3 kids at home, and work full time. I do not drink or party, I'm 40 yrs old, so been there, done all that. All my mom friends have monthly gatherings at each others houses to hang out, and everyone brings a dish to eat. Or if there is a birthday, I may get an invite to go out to dinner with some girlfriends. My husband completely disagrees that I should ever want to be away from my children, even for 2 hours. He gives me guilt trips and tries to make me feel like a bad mom. He has no friends or desire to go anywhere other than work, so he doesn't understand why I might need a break. Am I wrong?

Replies

• momaduckie
    July 30, 2013 at 2:03 PM

You are not wrong at all. I would suggest to your hubby if he doesn't want to end up on an episode of snapped then he might want to let you have some me time!  Remind him that you have 3 kids.  That means that for almost 2 1/2 years of your life you were pregnant. It's important to have that time away from kids because by being away you are teaching your kids that they can be self sufficent. If they are young kids you are teaching them that you can go away and come back and the world will still turn. It's also a good chance to let your hubby bond with the kids. if he seem opposed to that you might have a bigger issue then you think.

• Rlmama00
    July 30, 2013 at 6:47 PM

You are not wrong, but he certainly is.

• BrittSam2011
    July 30, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Nope. I didn't get me time until our oldest was 2 1/2. Kids drove me nuts. Having me time give some of the sanity back. :)

• Pammi86
    by Pammi86
    July 30, 2013 at 7:24 PM

No and I would be having a long talk with him!

• Pacaa9305
    July 31, 2013 at 7:35 AM
    Thank you all for your helpful advice. I did, in fact, go to dinner with a few coworkers and had a great time. He didnt even tell me bye, but I kissed the kids and off I went! He slept on the couch that night and wouldn't speak to me most of the next day! Turns out he took the kids to Golden Corral (their fav place) and then to a park down by the river. And I just went on not even letting his pouting bother me. I told him to plan on this being a monthly thing for me, and it seems he got some bonding time with the kids.
  • whoodathunk
    July 31, 2013 at 8:47 AM

No, you're not wrong.  Don't give in.  It seems once you do, you'll never get that time back.  

• Mickimarie
    July 31, 2013 at 9:30 AM

I'm not allowed me time. If I even get to go out with a girlfriend DH makes me take the baby. He always gets time to himself. My Me time is when DD is sleeping and I can clean in peace.

• momof51978
    July 31, 2013 at 11:23 AM
    What age do we live in where men dictate when we as mothers and caregivers and providers to our families decide when we should have no time for us...as a mother of five this time is very much needed. In order to keep your balance. Sometimes you need time with other other adults..to talk or just to have a cup of coffee with. These barbarian men need to step out of there comfort zone and step into our world and believe me they wouldnt survive one day before pleading for that MEEE TIME!
  • johnny4ever
    August 4, 2013 at 3:17 PM

I need Me time and my Hubby gets it!