Featured Posts
Indiemom880
School supply complaints?
July 19, 2013 at 11:15 PM

*Edit: I've seen a lot of moms say that the schools should provide certain things...obviously the schools are funded by taxes, so to provide these things, they would need to pull in more taxpayer dollars. As taxpayers, would you be okay with a tax increase to purchase these things? What is the difference between paying for them through tax dollars and purchasing them for your child's class specifically, in your opinion?*

Someone posted something on mom confessions yelling at moms complaining about school supplies. Apparently the hot topic is whether it's reasonable for schools to do the whole communal supplies thing. As in: everyone gets a supply list with say 12 pencils, 2 boxes of tissues, a couple erasers, a pair of scissors, etc. and they are all kept by the teacher for everyone to use. Like, the teacher takes all the pencils and then doles them out as necessary, there's one box of tissues for the whole class, etc.

So apparently a lot of parents are livid over this.

The reasons for this seem to vary:

-some felt like they shouldn't have to buy supplies for the whole class (the supply lists I got seemed on par with what we had when i was a kid and seemed like they were in line with what one child needed) Have supply lists gotten bigger? has anyone noticed this? I mean, sure they use the supplies for the whole class, but I dont' think I bought more than I would've if I had just bought for me.

-some felt that kids won't learn responsibility because a new pencil will appear if they lose one. I have my doubts. I don't think that's any kind of education--not being able to do your homework if you run out of pencils. And it would be the same kids from poor families who don't have pencils every week. Also, I have a feeling a lot of kids would "lose" pencils if it meant they got to go without doing their homework! Do you think this is a valid complaint?

-Some felt that they would buy crayola and other parents would buy roseart. lol, this just seems silly. like generic crayons are gonna kill em. But, whatcha think? (my kid's classroom just dumped all the crayons in bins on each table, so it's irrelevant who brought generic, but yeah.)

-A lot of people felt that the school should cover these items. I'm not sure if people realized that this meant higher taxes and that your tax dollars would go to other people's school supplies. Do you think a tax increase would be reasonable to cover school supplies?

Anyway, I'd love to hear everyone's feelings on this. Also, did anyone have issues with school shopping? As much as I hate Walmart, they make it really easy at the Walmart in my town. They have all the supply lists for all the local schools handy and have everything on all the lists in stock and right in one little area. Need a weird brand of pencil? They make sure to stock it. A lot of people complained about this.

Answer the blue questions! I'd love to hear from you! :-)

Edit: This is my supply list (1st grade)

1 box of crayons (16 ct)

6 large glue sticks

1 plastic pencil box

1 earbud headphones

1 pair scissors

12 sharpened #2 pencils

1 spiral notebook (70 ct)

1 composition notebook

2 large boxes tissues

2 black dry erase markers

1 cannister disinfectant wipes

1 box gallon size baggies

1 magic rub eraser

pencil top erasers

2 plastic folders

I got all this at Walmart last night and I think it was like $45-50.

Replies

• Janet
    by Janet
    July 19, 2013 at 11:22 PM
    School lists have got bigger.
  • Indiemom880
    July 19, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Quoting Janet:

School lists have got bigger.

Have they? In what ways?

Mine wasn't that bad.

• Janet
    by Janet
    July 19, 2013 at 11:31 PM
    I don't have a problem with the pencils or the crayons. I just think they expect us to buy too much stuff.
  • Janet
    by Janet
    July 19, 2013 at 11:32 PM
    If you have more than one child it can really be costly.
  • mom2ljh
    by mom2ljh
    July 19, 2013 at 11:36 PM
    I'm 28 years old and I STILL lose my pencils. Having my own pencils didn't teach me not to lose them. It just taught me Mom would make sure I always have pencils. What do I do now when I lose all my pencils? I go to the store and make more magically appear, lol.
    I think the whole argument is stupid. Send in your child's school supplies and follow the requirements. If they're communal, don't label them. If they aren't, do. If they're communal, buy the cheap brand. If they aren't, don't. It's simple.
  • Indiemom880
    July 19, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Lol, I swear there's a troll in my house that eats pencils and pens. I can never find one when I need one!

Quoting mom2ljh:

I'm 28 years old and I STILL lose my pencils. Having my own pencils didn't teach me not to lose them. It just taught me Mom would make sure I always have pencils. What do I do now when I lose all my pencils? I go to the store and make more magically appear, lol.
    I think the whole argument is stupid. Send in your child's school supplies and follow the requirements. If they're communal, don't label them. If they aren't, do. If they're communal, buy the cheap brand. If they aren't, don't. It's simple.

• mom2ljh
    by mom2ljh
    July 19, 2013 at 11:43 PM
    That troll lives here too, along with his sock eating cousin.

Quoting Indiemom880:

Lol, I swear there's a troll in my house that eats pencils and pens. I can never find one when I need one!

Quoting mom2ljh:

• Nerys-Kianna
    July 19, 2013 at 11:48 PM

DS1 list for 2nd Grade was bigger then the 1st Grade list, but his Kindergarten supply list was the biggest and with special pencils (they had to be latex free). DS2 Kindergarten list now, is also big.
    There will always be a pencil available since I think homework is an important thing and should be done.
    I usually buy generic if not specifiaclly asked for a certain brand.
    No issuses with school supply shopping. Got a good deal at Toys R Us with backpack and lunchbox (buy a backpack $12.99 and above get the lunchbox for free). The supllies I got all at Walmart with the help of a nice older lady, just stocking the shelves with school supplies.

Nothing against communal use of school supplies, but I dislike it to be the only parent who buys everything and then gets another WE NEED THIS AND THAT about 4 month later. So when DS1 started his new school, I talked to his teacher, that I don't wish that his stuff is to be shared, I don't mind to bring stuff in, but what he has is his and shouldn't be given to others. The teacher totally understood and worked with me.

• Indiemom880
    July 20, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Lol, yup!

Quoting mom2ljh:

Quoting Indiemom880:

Quoting mom2ljh:

• Janet
    by Janet
    July 20, 2013 at 12:32 AM
    Here too. Lol

Quoting mom2ljh:

Quoting Indiemom880:

Quoting mom2ljh:

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN