Reina13
Rant: I am so sick of reading about gun 'accidents'
by Reina13
June 24, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Yesterday a 5 year old little girl shot herself to death when she was locked in her home alone. Apparently her mom went shopping and left her there by herself. The little girl found the loaded gun and shot herself in the head.

Last month a 5 year old little boy fatally shot his 2 year old sister with a rifle in their home while the mom stepped away.

In April there were 11 other accidental shootings involving children.

Seriously when is this going to end? These are supposed to be 'responsible' gun owners, yet here they are, leaving loaded guns within reach of their children.

My thought is this, if you leave a loaded gun within reach of a child, it is NOT an ACCIDENT. You are responsible for what happens!

Replies

• GleeFan
    by GleeFan
    June 24, 2013 at 11:41 PM

I read about that little girl online. So sad and completely preventable. I think it is irresponsible to have a loaded weapon in your home and not have it properly stored and locked. To have it within reach of children is criminial in my opinion. If the parents/adults were made to be accountable for these accidents, maybe they wouldn't happen so frequently.

By the way, why on earth was a 5 year old little girl home alone anyway.

• goddess99
    June 25, 2013 at 9:53 AM

I had a cousin get shot in the head by a friend, they were young, found a gun and were playing with it.

• Cafe MichelleP
    June 25, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Oh my goodness. That is awful. I cannot even imagine what your family must have gone through.

Quoting goddess99:

I had a cousin get shot in the head by a friend, they were young, found a gun and were playing with it.

• dtm1491
    by dtm1491
    June 25, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Completely agree. I do believe that there are more responsible gun owners than not. The situations you mention are more about bad parenting than gun ownership. Tragically, these children had very negligent and idiotic parents and should be held accountable according to the law.

• dtm1491
    by dtm1491
    June 25, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Wow! I had a cousin shoot a friend in the head accidentally with a gun they were holding for someone. They were 17.

Quoting goddess99:

• goddess99
    June 25, 2013 at 10:39 AM

This was over 30 years ago, I remember everyone being shocked and sad. It happened at a family reunion, so there were plenty of adults around but kids are sneaky when they have something they aren't supposed to, the boys took it to their fort.

Quoting Cafe MichelleP:

Oh my goodness. That is awful. I cannot even imagine what your family must have gone through.

Quoting goddess99: