Featured Posts
Reina13
Changing the drinking age to 18? Good idea or not?
by Reina13
June 17, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Yesterday we went to a family gathering for Father's Day. Throughout the day beer and other alcoholic beverages were available as it ususally is with family gatherings.

My younger cousin (20) was there. Several family members offered him a drink, but he refused because he isnt 21. Now I know you are probably thinking that he just didn't want to drink around family, but that is not the case. He is in the military. His dream since he was a little boy was to be in the military. Anyway, he is a rule follower and would never knowingly or deliberately break a rule that could effect his military career.

I wondered about it all day though. Do you think the legal drinking age should be lowered in the United States? After all people can vote, enter into legal and binding contracts, buy tobacco products, permanently alter their bodies and serve their country at 18 years old, why not be able to legally drink as well? 

Thoughts? 

Replies

• Saphira1207
    June 18, 2013 at 8:25 PM

bump

• bmommyx2
    June 18, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Good for him & No I don't think they should lower the age

• blueeve
    by blueeve
    June 18, 2013 at 10:11 PM

No.  Plain and simple.  Too many people are already killed by drunk drivers.  J

• Ashp178
    by Ashp178
    June 19, 2013 at 12:58 AM

if you can carry a gun and go to war, putting your life on the line you should be able to have a damn drink..

• mrsquirk
    June 19, 2013 at 1:45 AM
    If someone can be a illegal adult at 18 then they have a right to drink. Especially the military adult. They die for a so called freedom and they cant even have a beer if they are under 21. I think its b.s.
  • mrsquirk
    June 19, 2013 at 1:49 AM
    To many people are killed fighting for your freedom. And you think that they don't need a dam beer. Nice. Then we don't need an military, that defense our freedom.

Quoting blueeve:

No.  Plain and simple.  Too many people are already killed by drunk drivers.  J

• rhiannonaisling
    June 19, 2013 at 3:49 AM
    I think it is ridiculous as well. If we can do all the others at 18 but not drink then something needs to change...
  • MooNFaeRie30
    June 19, 2013 at 5:17 AM

I see nothing wrong with it being 18. Infact it 30 years ago is when it was raised from18 to 21. it was not always 21.

• KsenijaR
    June 19, 2013 at 6:57 AM

I don't see anything wrong with drinking at the age of 18. That's a legal "drinking" age in all countries across Europe. You just need to educate the child about the possible problems with alcohol and make sure he perfectly understands the consequences.

• Basherte
    June 19, 2013 at 8:31 AM

My thought on this subject is as follows:

If a person is responsible enough to die for their country then they are responsible enough to handle alcohol.

I feel that it is ridiculous to tell people that they can be blown up, shot at, and worse defending their country but can't have a drink.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN