Featured Posts
Reina13
Changing the drinking age to 18? Good idea or not?
by Reina13
June 17, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Yesterday we went to a family gathering for Father's Day. Throughout the day beer and other alcoholic beverages were available as it ususally is with family gatherings.

My younger cousin (20) was there. Several family members offered him a drink, but he refused because he isnt 21. Now I know you are probably thinking that he just didn't want to drink around family, but that is not the case. He is in the military. His dream since he was a little boy was to be in the military. Anyway, he is a rule follower and would never knowingly or deliberately break a rule that could effect his military career.

I wondered about it all day though. Do you think the legal drinking age should be lowered in the United States? After all people can vote, enter into legal and binding contracts, buy tobacco products, permanently alter their bodies and serve their country at 18 years old, why not be able to legally drink as well? 

Thoughts? 

Replies

• zacmacsmomm
    June 17, 2013 at 11:46 AM

21 is an absured age.  Only country with that.  My son is almost 20, I have NO problem with him having a beer when we have friends over

• illinoismommy83
    June 17, 2013 at 11:49 AM

21 is fine drinking age. Give the body time to develop into maturity. If anything I'd like to raise the drinking age. 

• MichelleMc
    June 17, 2013 at 12:38 PM

I see nothing wrong with the drinking age being 18. If our military can serve our country, and ultimately die for our country at 18, they can surely have a beer. The taboo needs to be taken out of it, then it wouldn't be so bad & evil. 

All the things mentioned about legal binding contracts, legally an adult, etc. You can buy cigs which can also kill you, etc. Yeah, you should be able to drink. I agree with strict drinking & driving laws. I think that there are too many times DUI's allowed, etc. So that needs to be fixed for sure. But I agree with the drinking age lowering. 

• Taylor7777
    June 17, 2013 at 12:43 PM
    They might as well lower it because teens are going to find it on way or the other so why not
  • MOMTK2000
    June 17, 2013 at 12:59 PM

I REALLY TRULY feel changing the drinking age to 18 is worse, i feel 21 is bad enough, so how is changing it to an earlier age gonna make it better? i sometimes wonder if it shouldn't change to a later age like 28, cause by that age i feel the yoiunger generation is more mature and responsible by then.

• Reina13
    by Reina13
    June 17, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Why would you think it would make it worse? Why would you want to raise it to 28?  Tobacco products which you can buy at 18 can kill you. Serving your country can get you killed. Why is drinking any different?

Im not being snarky, I honestly want your opinion. Other countries have a lower drinking age. Im not sure, but I think ours is the highest age so Im curious why you think the way you do.

Quoting MOMTK2000:

I REALLY TRULY feel changing the drinking age to 18 is worse, i feel 21 is bad enough, so how is changing it to an earlier age gonna make it better? i sometimes wonder if it shouldn't change to a later age like 28, cause by that age i feel the yoiunger generation is more mature and responsible by then.

• Janet
    by Janet
    June 17, 2013 at 1:19 PM

I think they should keep it at 21.

• EarlGrayHot
    June 17, 2013 at 4:33 PM

It's reasonable question.  The younger you are though the more likely you are to drink too much and more likely to have a serious accident.  Perhaps all those things should be at 21.  Or maybe if you serve in the  ilitary that restriction should be waved on the grounds you are a more resonsible adult.

• Pammi86
    by Pammi86
    June 17, 2013 at 8:13 PM

I do not! I think 21 is a good age!

• mumamy
    by mumamy
    June 17, 2013 at 8:31 PM

In my country it's 18. There is always discussion to put it to 21 but if you can vote, smoke etc at 18 I dont see that drinking should be ruled out. People will just do it an lie if they want to do it.
    I know so many responsible 18 year olds who will drink and not go overboard. I was one of them. My husband would drink but from about age 22 onwards he never did.
    If you raise your kids to be responsible for their actions there is no difference to how they should be behaving socially at 18 than 21 when it comes to drinking and their responsibilities.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts