Featured Posts
22donnas
homeschool
June 16, 2013 at 6:57 PM

what do you ladies think about homeschooling? have a nice day.

Replies

• goddess99
    June 16, 2013 at 7:16 PM

My dd goes to public school but I'm not against pulling her and homeschooling. The need just hasn't been there yet.

• shirleywiley
    June 17, 2013 at 1:05 AM

It depends on the parent. I'm a step mom and I'd love to homeschool my kids. They're mother, however, is not on board. She feels that homeschooling would make them anti social. 

There are tons of programs and forums out there to help you keep your child's social education up there with the traditional one. And I would actually argue that you would be able to get your child even more socially involved by taking advantage of an adaptable schedule. 

But, you have to be a special kind of parent to home school. You have to be able to teach your children the disipline of learning and to always be looking for answers.

I got very good grades in school but I hated being there. And I don't use the "H" would lightly. I was on the honor roll but constantly ran the risk of tuancy tickets because of how often I would skip school. It just didn't make sense to me that I had to be there all day to get done the things that I could accomplish in an hour. I was bored. I dropped out of high school and decided to work full time because I was college bound and dreaded the idea of any more time in school. I only have 1 1/2 credits to go.

If I would have been able to home school I could've done the work at my own pace. Which is what I eventually did on my own as an adult.

What I would like for my children is to have them home school with some non parental activities at least weekly. Kids need a life seperate from their parents just as much as parents can need a break sometimes. When they get to the point of middle school, I'd give them the choice with the hopes that they would choose to try traditional school and have a new experience. By highschool, I'd hope that they go back to home schooling because I know that the credit requirements could be knocked out in a year or two. Can you imagine what you could've done from the age of 16-18 if you were already done with high school? I would hope that those years could be a time of experimenting. Maybe trying a full time job here and there. Maybe a course at the community college. Maybe they would save up for the whole 2 years and then backpack around Europe once they turned 18.

I think we put people on the same path no matter who they are and that isn't right. I didn't realize that I had a huge interest in astrophysics until I was in my mid 20's. Sadly enough, that makes it too late for me. I just don't have the time or energy it takes to contribute to that field. But, if school had been more focused on my persuit of knowlegde than my ability to repeat facts then maybe I would be an astrophysist right now.

Homeschooling is a lot of work if you want to do it right but it can open a lot of opportunities. 

• zacmacsmomm
    June 17, 2013 at 10:25 AM

It's not something I would ever do unless forced, but I don't see an issue with it!

• Truluv4ever
    June 17, 2013 at 10:37 AM
    I did homeschool one of my daughters through the rest of middle School. My older kids graduated from public School and I still have 2 in public School & my 14 year old(the hs one)asked to try public high School. So I did end our hs program and signed her up, this fall I will have a 2nd. Grader, a 5th. Grader & a 9th. Grader. I am all for homeschooling, I am encouraging success in School but if we have a lot of trouble I will pull them out and home School!
  • Mystres
    by Mystres
    June 17, 2013 at 10:39 AM

I will start home schooling my bug when she is age ready.  until then while I am in school (Going back to school my self) She is in daycare. 

• JasonsMom2007
    June 17, 2013 at 10:39 AM
    I homeschool through a charter and we love it.
  • CatFishMom
    June 17, 2013 at 10:40 AM

It's a lot better than the public schools. The government is stepping so far into our children's educations, it's disgusting.

• Janet
    by Janet
    June 17, 2013 at 1:35 PM

If you are up to it I see nothing but good from homeschooling. I think it depends on the circumstances.

• arwalters
    June 17, 2013 at 9:27 PM
    We've just started, ds is 4 & we love it. He still thinks he'll go to school when he turns 5, though, lol. hoping a year of mothers day out (2x/week) starting this fall will satisfy him then we will just stay home when he turns 5. He loves it though, always asks can we do school now? Or gets really happy if I say let's do some school work. Hope the love of learning lasts!
  • 22donnas
    June 18, 2013 at 8:10 PM

personally , i think it is a whole lot better.he gets one on one  training .he has plenty of friends on kids email,down the road and our local church.it's not as private as it use to be, and i am a stay at home mom why not?

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts