Featured Posts
trendy2
My son is extremely picky... (ETA)
by trendy2
May 7, 2013 at 12:36 PM

My DS is 6.  He is so picky.  I can't get him to try anything new.  His diet is so limited.  For the last two nights he has eaten a pb&j.  Lunch too.  For dinner before that it was cheese pizza.  He completely flips out when we even suggest he eat something else or something new.  I just don't know what to do!  His diet is so limited to just a few things he will eat.  None of which are great for him.  Mac & cheese on occasion (most of the time he won't eat it), waffles, pancakes, bacon (which I don't give hardly ever), pb&j, cheese or pepperoni pizza, chicken nuggets, doesn't care for fries, yogurt.  I give him a multi-vitamin daily and vitamin c.  

Has anyone dealt with this and were able to convert your child?  

(ETA)

Ok I guess I should have been more specific.  He will eat more than pb&j and pizza. He eats: pizza, nuggets and fries, waffles, pancakes, bacon, tacos with meat, cheese, sour cream, cheese quesadillas, pb&j, pb and honey, pb and Nutella, homemade chili in a hot dog bun, cereal, yogurt, cheese sticks, eggs, grits, mac and cheese... It is so frustrating. He will not eat any fruits or veggies.  I think we have probably created this situation.  It got to the point that it was easier to just let him eat what he would eat than to argue about it every night.  He tells me he will eat good foods that are good for him when he gets older, like 10.    

He stayed with my mom until he started school and she tended to humor him and his picky eating.  When we talk about him trying new foods now he says, "I'm picky, I don't like to try good foods!"  I have only tried the you eat what we eat theory a couple of times and not consistently because I felt so bad making him go to bed hungry.  He will eat any junk food you give him.  

Replies

• goddess99
    May 7, 2013 at 12:45 PM

My dd was like this many years ago now she'll try anything, she's 10. I told her years ago that her diet was going to change and she didn't have a choice but to eat what we are eating. I put our food on her plate and told her if she didn't eat it she would go to bed hungry. She would throw a hissy but always tried it and never went to bed hungry. Sometimes you just have to put your foot down. Good luck.

• trendy2
    by trendy2
    May 7, 2013 at 12:54 PM

He won't even try it.  If we put it on his plate, he freaks out.  My older SD's have issues with certain textures and I think maybe that is some of his problem. We could bribe him with a whole toy store, TV all night (not that we have tried either) but he will not try anything we eat.  It's exhausting!  My DD is 5 and at times is like him but I tell her it's eat it or be hungry and she complies.  He is not easy to reason with.  He's like his father.  One gear when he is mad or feels cornered.  Stubborn all the way.  

Quoting goddess99:

My dd was like this many years ago now she'll try anything, she's 10. I told her years ago that her diet was going to change and she didn't have a choice but to eat what we are eating. I put our food on her plate and told her if she didn't eat it she would go to bed hungry. She would throw a hissy but always tried it and never went to bed hungry. Sometimes you just have to put your foot down. Good luck.

• delanna6two
    May 7, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Hope things will get better...mine mostly eat what I make...but some have their picks and chooses.

• Janet
    by Janet
    May 7, 2013 at 5:19 PM

He will get over it as he gets older. I know many a kid that went through this. Don't worry about it. At least he is eating.

• MistressMinerva
    May 7, 2013 at 6:06 PM

He will out grow it. Some kids are just like that.

• trendy2
    by trendy2
    May 7, 2013 at 9:03 PM
    He has been like this for about 3 years. How long did it take them to get over it?

Quoting Janet:

He will get over it as he gets older. I know many a kid that went through this. Don't worry about it. At least he is eating.

• Traveler4Life
    May 7, 2013 at 9:44 PM

My 8 year old son is the same way.  He eats a very limited range of foods and will not try new foods.  He's been like this since 9 months.  Everyone (including the pediatrician) told me he would out grow it - he never has.  Everyone said that he would eat if he was hunger enough - he never did.  We have sought out therapy for him which helped a little but not much.  I would not ignore this.  I wish I got him help at 9 months instead of waiting until my son turned 7.  There are food therapists out there and food programs.  I would not ignore this.  Dont' assume that he will outgrown it.

• splatz
    by splatz
    May 7, 2013 at 10:14 PM

My son did that for awhile. Most of the time it was with things I knew he WOULD like. Or did like but just had not eaten in awhile. He got what I served. He could either eat it or not. But, I wasn't giving him any other food. Eventually he learned to eat it or he would be hungry.

• trendy2
    by trendy2
    May 7, 2013 at 10:53 PM
    Food therapists? Programs?

Quoting Traveler4Life:

My 8 year old son is the same way.  He eats a very limited range of foods and will not try new foods.  He's been like this since 9 months.  Everyone (including the pediatrician) told me he would out grow it - he never has.  Everyone said that he would eat if he was hunger enough - he never did.  We have sought out therapy for him which helped a little but not much.  I would not ignore this.  I wish I got him help at 9 months instead of waiting until my son turned 7.  There are food therapists out there and food programs.  I would not ignore this.  Dont' assume that he will outgrown it.

• luvnature
    May 8, 2013 at 8:27 AM

I have never forced my kids to eat what I made. All I asked of them was eat what they could and I was happy about it, but because I started giving my kids solid foods before they were a year old, I knew by the time they were 5 or 6 exactly what they liked and what they didn't like. 

my daughter hates beef and pork and she always has. my son hates corn and is not too keen on any vegetables and he has always been that way, the same goes for fruits with my son (he will have one apple a year if that, but he loves his apple juice). my kids are in their twenties now and they still have their same taste they had when they were little. I didn't really care what they ate, just as long as they ate something I was happy.  I grew up in a family that always had other options if we didn't like what was made and I have raised my kids the same way. 

my kids are healthy and rarely get sick, except for seasonal allergies in son's case. 

have you tried turkey or chicken bacon? we make that all the time. it's very tasty and better for your  too. give him smaller portion and serve his food cut up in different shapes (shapes he likes to see). if he likes cheese, put cheese whiz on his mashed potatoes (I do that all the time) and add cheese whiz to mac and cheese. cook your chicken nuggets in the oven instead of deep fryer. those are suggestions that might work for your son. 

good luck :-)

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN