Featured Posts
MomofHDFandNWF
We can't spend our summer inside!!
May 1, 2013 at 11:21 AM

So, a month ago we couldn't keep our DS (2 this month) inside to save our lives.... He constantly wanted to be outside despite his hands being cold.  Now, within the last week whenever we try to take him outside he starts sobbing and saying "Bike" and pulling on his ears. 

Low and behold, I have finally figured out he is terrified of motorcycles because of the loud noise they make.  It doesn't help that we live on a straight stretch of road which they see as a perfect opportunity to rev their engines and pick up the speed.... the "crotch rockets" and Harley's seem to be the worse.

What's a mom to do?  How do I get him "over" this?  We can't spend our summer inside!

Replies

• goddess99
    May 1, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Ear plugs. The only thing I can think of.

• MJP76
    by MJP76
    May 1, 2013 at 11:45 AM

How old is he? Sounds like maybe he's a toddler?? If so, I would personally make him go outside. Do what you have to do to soothe him and eventually he will get over it. If he's older than a toddler then you should probably take him to the doctor to get tested on the spectrum for autism. Because that behavior is not normal for anyone older than a toddler. And also, not normal if he continues to do it after say... A month of soothing.. Also if he does it for other loud noises I'd have him tested anyway.

• MistressMinerva
    May 1, 2013 at 2:22 PM

I would try using ear plugs to see if that helps.

• Janet
    by Janet
    May 1, 2013 at 6:48 PM

My daughter was afraid of loud noises when she was little. Just keep taking him out and reassuring him he it's okay. He will get over it.

• MomofHDFandNWF
    May 1, 2013 at 8:50 PM

He is going to be 2 in a couple weeks - so, yes, a toddler... I have still been making him go outside and he is fine as long as I am holding him or am right there when they drive by.  But, today, I was raking down by the road and didn't want him that close to the road so I had him locked in the fenced in yard - still not that far from where I was, and that is all that it took!

Later this afternoon we were back outside standing in our driveway and I heard one coming and said to him "Here comes a motorcycle..." and after it went by said "That silly motorcycle is loud isn't it?  Tell him shush!" and he did and then giggled a little.  So, I just may have to do that for a bit until he "gets over it"....

Thanks for responding!

Quoting MJP76:

How old is he? Sounds like maybe he's a toddler?? If so, I would personally make him go outside. Do what you have to do to soothe him and eventually he will get over it. If he's older than a toddler then you should probably take him to the doctor to get tested on the spectrum for autism. Because that behavior is not normal for anyone older than a toddler. And also, not normal if he continues to do it after say... A month of soothing.. Also if he does it for other loud noises I'd have him tested anyway.

• MomofHDFandNWF
    May 1, 2013 at 8:51 PM

This afternoon we were out and I was holding him - one went by and he was fine.  So, I think it will just take him some time.  His sister was very noise sensitive when she was little as well.... Thanks for the response!

Quoting Janet:

My daughter was afraid of loud noises when she was little. Just keep taking him out and reassuring him he it's okay. He will get over it.

• Janet
    by Janet
    May 2, 2013 at 7:22 AM

Your welcome. My daughter is 22 and still don't care for real loud noises like fireworks. She prefers not to get real close.

Quoting MomofHDFandNWF:

This afternoon we were out and I was holding him - one went by and he was fine.  So, I think it will just take him some time.  His sister was very noise sensitive when she was little as well.... Thanks for the response!

Quoting Janet:

• splatz
    by splatz
    May 2, 2013 at 11:57 AM
    My toddler freaks out over loud noises too. She is terrified of the vaccum and the sound of flushing toilets in public. Along with a ton of other things. Its so sad and frustrating. I don't have any advice other than trying to calm him and just suffering through. Hope he gets over it soon mama!
Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN