my4loves4
I need tips on raising young ones in big house
April 30, 2013 at 9:09 PM

I have a 3 1/2 year old son, a 2 1/2 year old step daughter, and a 5 month old daughter. We currently live in a 2 bedroom apartment. For the first two years it was just me and my son, so there was plenty of space. But with 3 new additions to our family we are more than a little crowded!

So we found a house. We love it! But its big. Not something we are used too LOL. 5 bedroom. And with this comes lots of worries, so need some tips on keeping my kids safe and things child proof!

Question 1: Window safety. The house is a older. The windows are down lower and arent as sturdy. All of our bedrooms will be upstairs. Outside the windows is roof. I am really worried my 3 year old is going to find this a adventure and try to get out one. How can I secure his windows safely, so he can't get out?

2: Potty training (nighttime). We are working with our son on potty training, hes doing good.  . In our apartment now, the bathroom is exactly across the hall from his bedroom, with a nightlight he is safely able to get up and go and go back to bed. but in the new house there is only one bathroom. Downstairs at the back end of the house. This means he has to walk down stairs, through living room, dinning room, and kitchen just to get there... I know he'll be to scared (and i'd be to scared to let him) do it by himself, and as important as i know getting him trained is... I Love my sleep, i really don't want to wake up and do all that walking either in the middle of the night... Could I buy one of the training pottys and put it in his room at night? Is that weird? Just put it in at night and take it out and clean it in the mornings. Or any other ideas?

3.Moniters and gates. I am going to buy a baby moniter for each of their rooms, since i wont be able to hear them. And I am going to get a baby gate for my sons room. As many times as i've told him he HAS to wake me up in the mornings,he often dosent. He will not sleep with his door closed, so i figured a baby gate in his doorway at night will let me know hes safely in his room, He can still have his door open, but he'll have to yell for me to let him out before he can get out (or i'll hear him trying to mess with it) Any better ideas, or things im not thinking of to make sure the kids are safe in their rooms at night/ naptime?

My biggest worry is the stairs. Their pretty steep, and when you get to the top theres a white railing around it, but with monkey kids,im worried about them trying to climb it and falling down into the stairs!! Luckily the 5th room, is downstairs right off the living room so turning that into a play room. So during the day when im busy with chores, I can close the doorway to the stairs and the kids can play freely downstairs. But I need as many tips as I can to keep children safe from/on them!!  My youngest will soon be crawling, and my oldest will soon be able to open the door and walk up and down them without me worrying so much. But then I have to worry about my crawler trying to follow her brother or sister. ( No, I dont neglect my kids where this could happen often without my notice shes on the stairs, but as im sure you all know, for toddlers all it takes is you running to take a few second pee and all hells broke loose when you've returned) i just like to try and be safe instead of sorry!!!

Replies

• goddess99
    May 1, 2013 at 10:12 AM

I have a big old house too that used to be different apartments in each level so I understand your concerns. As for the windows I put in safety bars on the inside. Looks a little like baby jail but better safe than sorry, I even called the fire department to make sure they were ok to use and they said they were. We live in MI.

Put a potty chair in his room or by his room upstairs.

I had a gate on my dd's door, so she couldn't get out of her room by herself. She was the same, slept with door open and steep long steps a few feet from her room. I used monitors alot too because there was no way I could hear her in other rooms.

• mawith2
    by mawith2
    May 1, 2013 at 12:20 PM
    Baby gates and monitors sound good. We had baby gates at top and bottom of stairs as well (the kind I could swing open and get through but kids couldn't figure out.). I ended up putting shutters on inside of the upstairs windows and keep them locked when I have the windows open (air gets through slats). Sometimes I have nap time downstairs in a room we use for their playroom we keep all toys downstairs so they're only upstairs to sleep.
  • Janet
    by Janet
    May 1, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Good advice!

Quoting goddess99:

I have a big old house too that used to be different apartments in each level so I understand your concerns. As for the windows I put in safety bars on the inside. Looks a little like baby jail but better safe than sorry, I even called the fire department to make sure they were ok to use and they said they were. We live in MI.

I had a gate on my dd's door, so she couldn't get out of her room by herself. She was the same, slept with door open and steep long steps a few feet from her room. I used monitors alot too because there was no way I could hear her in other rooms.

• goddess99
    May 1, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Thank you =)

Quoting Janet:

Good advice!

Quoting goddess99:

• MistressMinerva
    May 1, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Good advice Michelle.

Quoting goddess99:

• goddess99
    May 1, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Thank you =)

Quoting MistressMinerva:

Good advice Michelle.

Quoting goddess99:

• Knightquester
    May 1, 2013 at 8:01 PM

If you're worried about stairs then get metal gates you have to drill and anchor to the walls and can only be opened by adults who have the hand muscles to open them.

• Janet
    by Janet
    May 2, 2013 at 7:17 AM

Your welcome.

Quoting goddess99:

Thank you =)

Quoting Janet:

Good advice!

Quoting goddess99: