Featured Posts
SuperWaned
My 13 year old insist she is fat!
April 22, 2013 at 4:17 PM

She is 5'5 tall and a size 5 in pants. Small  and sometimes medium in shirts. She doesn't  want to get weighted and keep looking for excuses to avoid it.   

I am starting to get  super worried. She was just crying about it. I keep telling her she is not but my stupid bitch-in-law/ sorry meant mom-in-law keep making comments on how she is getting a tummy and need to control what she eats and blah blah blah.. My girl is pretty active and eats pretty healthy.

I am super worried about her body image and super pissed at my mother in law! 

Replies

• kfroz0415
    April 22, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Yeah, I figured you meant well, but it can backfire. Just keep reassuring her that she is beautiful and as long as she eats well and is active she has nothing to worry about. Btw even if she was getting a touch pudgy she is at the age for crazy growth spurts, like several inches in a month type spurts. I know at 13 I went from overweight to scrawny because I shot up like 7 inches over the summer. 

Quoting SuperWaned:

I didnt thought of that! THANKS! All I wanted was to make her step in the wii fit board  for It to tell her she is not fat.  :( 

Quoting kfroz0415:

I'm 5'5" and between a sz 3 & 5, granted my muscle mass is considered above average, but I weigh 140lbs. Which calculates to a healthy BMI. Iwould have to think your daughter would be similar in build and not even close to fat. Honestly if I were you, I would tell MIL that she's a bitch and she is no longer allowed to speak to your dd until she apologizes and regains her sanity.

On another note, coming from someone who has some pretty huge self esteem issues stemming from the way I was treated by my family concerning my weight as a child and teen, if your dd doesn't want to get on a scale PLEASE DO NOT force her. I still remember the time my mom forced me to weigh myself in the living room in front of her, my dad, and 3 brothers even though I was sobbing hysterically because of it.

• DazeDelights
    April 22, 2013 at 11:31 PM
    I'm sorry she is going through this. I'm no help because I have always raised my kids that self esteem is just that what YOU think of YOURSELF. You never let anyone make you feel less then what you are which is awesome! My baby which is 9 is a little on the chubby side but no one can make him feel fat. When anyone mentions his weight he just says he has to keep his weight up for the nfl or wwe.I love his personality .
  • othermom
    April 23, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Talk to your mil about it and tell her if she doesn't stop she will not be able to see her. Keep talking to your daughter too about being healthy and maybe have her doctor talk to her about being healthy

• leaderskim1
    April 23, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Don't worry my mil is the same way. My dd is 20 mths old and my mil has already told my dd " and her dad and I " that if she keeps it up she's going to grow up like my hubby's cousin "who's build like a man because both her parents r stocky." R dd is only 20 mths old, 27.7 lbs and 33 in tall. Her daddy is 5 ft 10 and I m 5 ft 2 so I doubt she will grow up to be like my hubby' cousin who I can't stand even for a min.

• Lovingmommy1028
    April 23, 2013 at 10:17 AM

i am sorry that your daughter is being treated like that by your mother-in-law i hope everything works out for you & your daughter

• elkmomma
    April 23, 2013 at 10:52 AM

She may need some counseling before she develops an eating disorder.  MIL needs to keep her trap shut, but I doubt that she is the only influence.  Take her to the Dr. and let  them do the BMI thingy , this may give her a little more confidence or at least ease her mind a bit. 

• TimetoMomUp
    April 23, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Oh man, poor girl.  My grandma used to do the same thing to me.  At every single holiday/family gathering, while she was stuffing her fat face, she would tell me only to get a tablespoon of each item and no seconds because I was "chubby."  She would even buy clothes one size too small and tell me I needed to work to get into them.  BTW, I was 10 years old.  Nip the MIL thing in the bud and find a self-esteem and self-image building class for your daughter. 

• SuperWaned
    April 23, 2013 at 12:43 PM

I tried to do the same but as soon She got her period she turned into this ball of hormones, insecurities and all kind of feelings. She is intense! She gets overly exited, overly dramatic and overly sensitive. Lucky you dont have to deal with this with a boy

Quoting DazeDelights:

I'm sorry she is going through this. I'm no help because I have always raised my kids that self esteem is just that what YOU think of YOURSELF. You never let anyone make you feel less then what you are which is awesome! My baby which is 9 is a little on the chubby side but no one can make him feel fat. When anyone mentions his weight he just says he has to keep his weight up for the nfl or wwe.I love his personality .

• SuperWaned
    April 23, 2013 at 12:44 PM

REally at 20 months? What the F is wrong with her!!

I read this on facebook and so true! Some people need a glue stick instead of a chap stick 

Quoting leaderskim1:

Don't worry my mil is the same way. My dd is 20 mths old and my mil has already told my dd " and her dad and I " that if she keeps it up she's going to grow up like my hubby's cousin "who's build like a man because both her parents r stocky." R dd is only 20 mths old, 27.7 lbs and 33 in tall. Her daddy is 5 ft 10 and I m 5 ft 2 so I doubt she will grow up to be like my hubby' cousin who I can't stand even for a min.

• SuperWaned
    April 23, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Thanks everyone! I am gonna talk with her pediatrician. You are right I am guessing while mom in law is the noisier one, she is not the onlyone, at least not literally. See my second is only a year  younger but she is way shorter and also still 10-12 slim. Heck when she needed a red skirt for valentines she fitted into a 5t one! Her best friend is also shorter and skinnier. I keep telling is not that she is fat. She just has a different body type. I get asked all the time if Gabs is 17 while her sister gets asked if she is 10.  Gaby has a beautiful body!  ( which I kinda hate  it because she already has a womanly body, and she ge the looks in the street  already). So I  think, aslong with the comments she may be comparing herself to sister and best friend

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts