Cafe Robin
7 Things You Have to Stop Doing Once You're a Mom - What's on your list?
April 17, 2013 at 8:30 PM

7 Things You Have to Stop Doing Once You're a Mom

by Adriana Velez

dancing on a table

There are some things you just cannot do once you become a mother. For many women, the line is drawn pretty strict. I'm a little more lenient. You can still dance on the table (a very stable one, after you've cleared the dishes), have a cocktail before dinner, and dress like a slut if you want to, in my book. But even I have my standards.

Here are seven things I think we have to give up when we have kids.

1. Hard drugs: Hopefully you weren't doing heroin before you had kids. But just in case: It's time to get off the horse. Get it out of your system before the babies come. Like, all the way out of your system.
  2. YOLO: You don't get to use this phrase to do crazy shit anymore. You only live once, but that one life now comes with responsibility. Live for tomorrow, too.
  3. Neglecting your health: Your kid needs you to be your best self. It's not just so you can parent at your highest capacity. It's also because they need you to model healthy habits.
  4. Gossiping: Go ahead and talk smack about the Real Housewives. But when it comes to real people, especially people your kids know, it's time to exercise some self control. People disappoint us, and it's okay to say so. But I don't think it's right to just carelessly slag off on people in front of your kids.
  5. Any activity that could be classified as a felony: Try really hard not get land your ass in jail. Who will take care of your kids, then?
  6. Picking up guys at bars and bringing them home: If you're single, keep the sexy times far away for your kids. No one wants to see a strange man in Mommy's bathrobe at breakfast. Oh -- I guess this goes for married women, too. Husbands hate it when you bring home someone else to sleep with. Ehrm, usually.
  7. Eating ice cream for dinner. Steam some broccoli and boil some pasta. We all have bad nights, but try.

What do you think people have to stop doing once they become parents?

Replies

• MamaMoopsie
    April 18, 2013 at 10:18 AM

1. Going out every night to party...I go out about once a month without my kids (this doesn't include my trips to my OB). Before children I went somewhere every weekend--not necessarily parties, but I was always on the go.

2. Expecting to be allowed to sleep in. Sure it's nice when DH gets up with the kids and lets me sleep in, but I don't expect it.

3. Being a big baby when I am sick. I can still get medical attention if needed, but I still have to take care of my kids.

4. Watching appropriate shows when they're awake. I won't watch anything that has a lot of profanity, nudity, etc. while the kids are up.

5. Not eating my vegetables. We have a much healthier life style now than we did before the kids came along.

6. Letting the F!#$ word fly whenever I get cut off in traffic...or irritated with anything...or just because. Seriously, we have to teach our kids how to express themselves without resorting to foul language.

7. I have to agree with the picking strangers up in the bar and bringing them home for the night. I'm married, but I definitely think this is a big no no for any parent to do.

• Pammi86
    by Pammi86
    April 18, 2013 at 10:30 AM

I think ice cream for dinner is something you should talk to my mil about lol! But seriously all I ask is take time for your children!

• splatz
    by splatz
    April 18, 2013 at 11:45 AM

I don't even know what yolo is... 

• goddess99
    April 18, 2013 at 11:56 AM

That's an interesting list lol.

Ah... I stopped smoking.

• delanna6two
    April 18, 2013 at 12:49 PM

enjoying food to yourself...lol

• 1stpreggers
    April 18, 2013 at 1:08 PM
    Having strangers over.
    Staying over with other ppl
    Being too drunk to function
    Partying like there's no tomorrow
    Doing hard drugs
    Surviving on fast food and Starbucks
  • Janet
    by Janet
    April 18, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Good for you!

Quoting goddess99:

That's an interesting list lol.

Ah... I stopped smoking.

• Janet
    by Janet
    April 18, 2013 at 7:27 PM

I think stop smoking should be one.

• steph2728
    April 19, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Thats a good list. I started eating better when I became a mom.  I used to grab and go because I was busy. As a single mom I fall back into that habits at times. Then I have to remind myself to eat better for my kids so I don't get sick and run down.