kss12
Need some help mamas!! *EDIT*
by kss12
April 8, 2013 at 7:07 PM
I feel like I am constantly picking up after my entire family. It's not a problem really.. I'm a sahm so that is my job. I clean up and my 13 month old destroys it which is expected.. Duh! My husband helps out as much as he can but he works a lot and is always in a rush so he leaves things around.. Again it's expected, when I worked I would come home to a mess because I'd be running out of the door. On top of that I have a ss who stays here 2 1/2 days a wk and every other wknd. I am constantly cleaning his stuff up too, he is 10 and should be cleaning up on his own. What do you think of this idea.. I was going to start a collection box of things he leaves around the house, instead of putting it away for him or putting it upstairs in his room. If he asks to it ill give it back, if he doesn't then it stays in the box. Too harsh? I just don't want to pick things up. Do you agree that a 10 yr old should clean up after himself???

***EDIT:
The reason I ask if its too harsh is bc he is not my son.. He's my step son. I just don't want to overstep!

Replies

• myownparadise
    April 8, 2013 at 7:09 PM
    I don't think that is too harsh.
  • goddess99
    April 8, 2013 at 7:25 PM

I think it's fine. My dd is 10 and picks up after herself. She knows if I pick it up she won't see it again.

• Janet
    by Janet
    April 8, 2013 at 7:38 PM
    I don't think it's too harsh.
  • tibby73
    by tibby73
    April 8, 2013 at 10:28 PM

I did a chore box for my sons 10 and 12. 

You make a sign that says

OH NO

You left it out and mom picked it up, now she has got you stuff and your out of luck.

To get it back you must do a chore, then it will be yours just like before.

Then you take an envelope and put in some age approptiate chores. The child picks one for each toy he wants to get out.  So far it is working at helping my kids pick up after themselves.

Good luck.

• MamaSnaps
    April 8, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Well, if you think that is harsh you wouldn't survive in my house! LOL!

If they leave things laying around the common rooms I "throw it away."
    They have to earn it back.
    Leave you ipod in my livingroom? Do the dishes.
    Leave your jeans on the bathroom floor? Scrub the tub.
    TO MY STANDARDS. That usually takes them about 3x as long as it takes me. They don't often leave things hanging around anymore. The 13 year old left clothing laying about and wouldn't bother to earn it back. Until he found he had shorts only to wear to school in a blizzard. He did some frantic cleaning that week.

• MollieE
    by MollieE
    April 9, 2013 at 2:43 AM

I used to put everything my kids refused to pick up into a box on the top of their closet.  It stayed there a week to a month.  If they didn't ask for the toys back then I knew they were finished playing with them and passed them along.  It kept the floor clearer and helped keep the toy box under control. 

Its amazing what they forget if its not there to pull out just to make a mess.

• Reina13
    by Reina13
    April 9, 2013 at 9:58 AM

I think it is appropriate for a 10 year old to be picking up after himself. He should be doing simple chores as well, but most definitely cleaning up his own mess.

• delanna6two
    April 9, 2013 at 10:19 AM

I believe they can pick up their room and other cleaning tasks.

• Mommyof1_2013
    April 9, 2013 at 10:50 AM

The 10 y/o should definitely be picking up after himself. I like the chore box idea, making him earn back the toys he left laying around, and it's definitely not too harsh

• MySweetChild
    April 9, 2013 at 11:34 AM

I don't think it is too harsh.  My DD is 10 and I am really enforcing rules to get her more resposible.  She already is a very responsible child with schoolwork, taking care of things, but I am trying to get her to clean up after herself.