Featured Posts
kss12
Sippy cup, regular cup or straw cup?
by kss12
March 17, 2013 at 11:34 AM
My son is 13 months.. I'm still bf and he eats 3 meals and 1-2 snacks a day.
I've been reading up on sippy cups, cups and cups with straws. They say you should stop sippy cup use and transition them to regular cups or cups with straws between 12 and 15 months due to dental issues. What have you moms done? He rarely uses a sippy cup and gets most of his liquid intake from bf. He has water from a sippy cup typically during meals or if he's hot outside and he's been outside a lot.
If you did transition your babies from sippy to regular or straw cups, how did you do it? Should I even be worrying about this yet?

Replies

• suetoo
    by suetoo
    March 18, 2013 at 7:33 AM

We use sippy cups at meal and snack time. Don't worry about this. Brush his teeth after if you're worried that much. It was sippy, then straw at restaurants, then regular cup. 

• Basherte
    March 18, 2013 at 8:25 AM

My son started with spill proof cups with straws. 

He is transitioning to a regular cup, but still has cups with straws as well. He just does a lot better with the straw. I understand that he should learn to drink from an open cup, but I still don't see the problem drinking from cups with a straw and lid. 

I see a lot of adults using sports cups all the time.

• armyvet06
    March 18, 2013 at 8:29 AM
    My DD started using a sippy just before she turned a year old. She is now 2 1/2 and has been drinking from a regular cup for about 4-5 months now. We only use her sippy if we are going to be out of the house for awhile.
  • anj2mom
    by anj2mom
    March 18, 2013 at 9:43 AM

honey my son is 2 1/2 and still drink from a sippy cup. I let him drink from a straw every now and then but have to supervise or the drink will eventually be everywhere. I don't know where you heard that about taking them off sippy cups at 1 year. that's always when our pediatrician telsl us to start, well a little before anyway. My daughter is 5 and still uses them every now and then. So I wouldn't worry. And i don't recommend the sippy straw cups b/c i have found most of them leak like crazy! So annoying! HTH

• Sept-babies2
    March 18, 2013 at 10:47 AM
    My dd is 18 months and can drink out of a straw but still loves her sippy cup. My son was a little over two once he stopped using a sippy cup and has perfect teeth. Do what you feel is best for your child.
  • auntangelofsix
    March 18, 2013 at 5:33 PM
    My son 14 month old uses both kinda of cups and has no problems with either cup.
  • heathermarie23
    March 18, 2013 at 8:53 PM

My son loves to drink water from the bottle, he watches what we do... with a little help and only a few minor spills he's got it!  He can drink out of cups too, but he prefers water bottles.  He's been drinking from a straw since 10months.  I start offering a soft spout sippy early and just transition from there.  It's worked with both of my boys so far.  Just offer it to him, and encourage him.  

• delanna6two
    March 19, 2013 at 2:03 PM

With my last baby, I went to soft spout sippy cups first and then on to the harder top sippy cups once the teeth came in more.

• splatz
    by splatz
    March 19, 2013 at 2:55 PM

My daughter is 2 1/2 and uses a sippy cup and a straw cup. She has used a sippy since we quit using bottles at 9 months... My son used a sippy until 3 or 3 1/2 without any issues.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN