Featured Posts
CafeMom Team
UPDATED WITH VIDEO: How do you choose the right detergent for your family’s clothes?
April 9, 2013 at 10:17 AM

We gave moms Tide Free & Gentle Detergent and asked them to wash their family's clothes with it. Take a look at this fun video momtage that highlights some of our influencer's stories. Then,  tell us how you choose the right detergent for your family's clothes.

Be sure to click here to save 20%* on your first order at soap.com. 
Enter Code: CAFEMOM20

*Max discount $20. Expires 7/31/13. New Soap.com customers only. Offer cannot be combined with other new buyer offers, sales, and close-out items. Offer subject to change or cancellation. Excludes Clarisonic.

CafeMom recruited a large panel of our members, broadly representative of American Moms. Each panelist received one of 4 P&G products along with an experiential assignment suggesting ways to use it. We asked these panelists whether they agreed with this seal's claim, and awarded a seal if 75% or more of the panelists agreed with the claim and we received more than 250 responses. CafeMom gives moms an opportunity to try our advertisers' products. In return, we ask our moms to share their true experiences and honest opinions. To learn how you can be an influencer, click here. 

Replies

• frankiesma530

I usually do about a load of baby clothes every few days.  I usually try to find something that is dye and perfume free for the kiddos clothes.  I just received my detergent a few minutes ago and I'll be back to tell all about my experience.  

I really like the Tide Free and Gentle soap.  It's unscented and no dyes are in it.  Getting the clothes fresh out the dryer, there was no chemically smell and they were really soft (I didn't use dryer sheets either!)  I did notice that it got the carrot stains all the way out of some of my son's onesies, those are usually tough to get out. DS is wearing one of the shirts I washed in the detergent and it doesn't seem to irritate his skin at all.  Usually he's fidgety if he's irritated but it's just fine.  I'm going to wash some of his linen in this detergent also and I'm sure I'll get excellent results also.  

And thanks to CM and Soap.com for this influencer.  I have to admit I shop at Soap.com and its sister stores often.  :)

• alyssa1
    by alyssa1
    I just received my detergent today and will be washing soon so I can share my experience.
  • ruby_jewel_04

I do a ton of laundry. I just had my 4th baby in January. We cloth diaper, and my 3rd child has sensitive skin and foliculitis. I know that Tide free and gentle is recommended for cloth diapers. So I'm excited to see how it does, and if it might help my sons skin issues.

ETA: Well, I really like the detergent. It worked well on our cloth diapers. Didn't smell at all. Everything came out clean. It didn't seem to improve my sons skin issues, but it didn't aggravate it at all. Which was great. I'll be continuing to use it on my cloth diapers, and my sons clothes.
  • micheledo
    I am pregnant with our sixth child, so I usually do at least one or two loads every day. (Thought today, I am on my seventh load because I am a couple of days behind AND have sheets and towels to wash). I also have sensitive skin, so I have always looked for Free and Clear soaps. I have been disappointed in the past because I always can find Tide coupons but no Free and Clear soap.

My soap arrived today! And I am using it now in some of the laundry. Honestly, I am always happ yto get something for free and I am thrilled it is dye and perfume free. I don't foresee any problems, but I will post again after we (and baby) have worn some of the clothes.

For the last year or so ,I have been making my own laundry detergent, but I will definitely look for Tide's free and clear product when I decide to buy some!
  • micheledo
    Did not know that about cloth diapers!! I might just save it for that. I love my cloth diapers but haven't found a washing method I am really happy with as of yet!

Quoting ruby_jewel_04:

I do a ton of laundry. I just had my 4th baby in january. We cloth diaper, and my 3rd child has sensitive skin and foliculitis. I know that Tide free and gentle is recomended for cloth diapers. So I'm excited to see how it does, and if it might help my sons skin issues. :)

• TattooedMomto4

I just recieved my sample today and have already done three loads of laundry. I generally average a load a day/every other day as there are just 3 of us here now. I don't have small children but I do have sensitive skin and sometimes get allergic reactions to harsh laundry soaps. I am looking forward to seeing how this laundry soap holds up in the arena.

• nicki.hemingway

Hi I am Nicki.  I am the mother to two children.  Ashur is 33 months and special needs and Tory is 22 months. 

I received my Tide Free and Clear yesterday and decided to give it a go right away.  I do approxiately 10 loads of laundry a week between clothes, cloth diapers, and other household laundry including the extra laundry (bedding, med needs) to keep my son healthy.  Usually we use one detergent for the whole family.  We have been using the Unscented packet detergent from another brand.  We have sensitive skin as a fmaily and do not use anything that is scented at all.  I tried the detergent on one load of adult clothes and thus far I am not very impressed.  Upon opening the bottle there is a very distinct chemically scent.  Other Free and Clear detergents we have used before have a soap scent but the tide's scent is very unpleasent.  I ran the clothes through a normal load and checked them afetrwards.  They came out about the same cleanliness wise but they did feel like they have a film or residue so I ran them through a second rinse which seemed to rememdy the issue.  I did notice the same strong scent from the clothes after the wash.  After drying the smell was reduced but still a bit present.  Overall I was not impressed at all by this product.  I have used many scent and dye free laundry soaps in the past and none have ever left a smell behind nor have they needed a second rinse.  I am almost afraid to use this on my cloth diapers since this detergent contains optical brightners and enzymes which are neither gentle on skin nor good for cloth diapers.  In the future I think I will pass on this product but still use soap.com.

• MayFlowerMomma

I just recieved my influencer in the mail today. I will be usin it tomorrow when I do DD laundry.

I feel that with babies anything that is dye and sent free are usually good.

• nicki.hemingway

It does contain enzymes and optical brightners.  Is it not the best for cloth diapers. 

Quoting micheledo:

Did not know that about cloth diapers!! I might just save it for that. I love my cloth diapers but haven't found a washing method I am really happy with as of yet!

Quoting ruby_jewel_04:

I do a ton of laundry. I just had my 4th baby in january. We cloth diaper, and my 3rd child has sensitive skin and foliculitis. I know that Tide free and gentle is recomended for cloth diapers. So I'm excited to see how it does, and if it might help my sons skin issues. :)

• lasombrs

I can't wait to get our sample in the mail! My son has psoriasis and his dermatologist suggested  all free and clear but I am not crazy about it. Tide is usually a little out of our price range so I have not yet bought their free style to test it! Can't wait to  see if it works better or not.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts