Featured Posts
charnrich26
Need some Mom to Mom advice..children threatening to hurt them selves.
March 7, 2013 at 7:48 AM

I normally don't post on CM because i guess i cant take the criticism.  i just want some advice from one mom to another.

my 8 year old DS has been showing signs of depression since we had a life change back in 2011. we had to move, switch schools and friends, we have been living with my mom(but currently looking to move 4/1) i know things are tough right now but I'm truly trying. i do personally feel that when we move it will be better, we will have out own space and home, they will have there own room again(currently share with there uncle) and it will just be us again with our family dinners, movie nights,etc...

now thats just a backround.. now this morning my DF had yelled at the boys because mornings for school get hectic. they scream and wake up there sister. well when DF yelled at DS my DS said "someday im going to hurt myself"

now i have so many mixed feelings.. one i couldn't get him into a therapist, there were not any that were open late or on weekends due to work and others either didn't accept insurance or children. 

another issue is, is this just a phase could it get better when we do move next month.

i have even thought of trying to change work schedule to make time for his needs but that is difficult.

is our parenting that bad? we don't spank but i guess you can say were strict but not overly strict. i cant just sit back and let the kids walk all over me so he never feels that way again.

i dont want to sit back and watch my child suffer. depression runs high in my family and i know what its like.

i just need some true advice. what would you do?

Replies

• SlapItHigh
    March 7, 2013 at 8:32 AM
    I'm not going to judge your parenting but every last parent on the planet has room for improvement. I would start with working on the yelling. That you can change right away. Imagine if your df yelled at you when you did something wrong. Give loving correction. The most important thing is unconditional love! Do you give him hugs and kisses?
  • LilliesValley
    March 7, 2013 at 8:35 AM
    This is a red flag I wouldn't avoid. Get him into therapists but also ask why he would say that. Your living situation sounds rough but that will change soon. Good luck. Hugs.
  • goddess99
    March 7, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Talk to his school. There are plenty of staff there that can help him.

• EvaTheDiva29
    March 7, 2013 at 8:52 AM

hes 8. its fairly normal. set up therapy for him. sounds like hes mad sbout something.

• Tattooed-momma
    March 7, 2013 at 3:28 PM
    I agree with all of the pp and there is nothing to be ashamed of about seeking therapy for yourself or your children. As mothers we must do whatever it takes to ensure a safe environment for our children regardless of criticism from others. We are not perfect but recognizing that we can always use improvement is a big first step and once we can get past that anything is possible. Things can change, stay positive and affirmative.
    Good luck!!
  • Janet
    by Janet
    March 7, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Quoting EvaTheDiva29:

hes 8. its fairly normal. set up therapy for him. sounds like hes mad sbout something.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts