MrsWhite101610
moms of children with adhd...
February 19, 2013 at 6:55 PM
How old was your child when they were diagnosed? How early did they show signs of ADHD?

I strongly believe my 3 year old has ADHD, we consult with her doctor on Thursday.

If you have any advice on how to manage it please share. Are there any diets, etc that help? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• goddess99
    February 19, 2013 at 7:18 PM

When my dd was younger she was Very hyper, she's 10 now and is very different than she was when she was 3. I worked with her alot to change behaviors, Never medicated, never will. I always thought that when she was older if she wanted to medicate I would let her decide but honestly I worked so hard and she has come so far that I don't think she will ever need meds nor want them. She doesn't get anything with red dye, no hotdogs or things with casings, no pop, we limited tv because the lights would make her hyper. As she has gotten older we have eased up a bit but she knows what her triggers are so she stays away if she thinks she can't handle it. Not only will you learn but so will she. You may want to check out this group: http://www.cafemom.com/group/18577

• lwalker270
    February 19, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Three seems really young to have her evaluated.  My doctor won't even discuss ADHD until halfway through the kindergarten year.

My son was diagnosed in first grade and he was diagnosed with Aspergers syndrome in second grade.  

Personally, if you're going to have her evaluated this young, I would go with a pediatric mental health professional.  The testing they did was much more comprehensive.

We control his symptoms through a combination of behavioral therapy, medication, and diet.  Dyes and certain preservatives seem to exacerbate his symptoms.

• MrsWhite101610
    February 19, 2013 at 7:26 PM
    Thank you.

Quoting goddess99:

When my dd was younger she was Very hyper, she's 10 now and is very different than she was when she was 3. I worked with her alot to change behaviors, Never medicated, never will. I always thought that when she was older if she wanted to medicate I would let her decide but honestly I worked so hard and she has come so far that I don't think she will ever need meds nor want them. She doesn't get anything with red dye, no hotdogs or things with casings, no pop, we limited tv because the lights would make her hyper. As she has gotten older we have eased up a bit but she knows what her triggers are so she stays away if she thinks she can't handle it. Not only will you learn but so will she. You may want to check out this group: http://www.cafemom.com/group/18577

• MrsWhite101610
    February 19, 2013 at 9:11 PM
    Bump
  • Janet
    by Janet
    February 20, 2013 at 1:40 PM
    Mine was diagnosed in Kindergarten. But I knew he had it long before that. He son my grandchild has it also. He is on meds to help him focus in school.
  • MrsWhite101610
    February 20, 2013 at 1:44 PM
    What medications does he take if you don't mind? Is there any side effects? Is there a certain routine he follows?

Quoting Janet:

Mine was diagnosed in Kindergarten. But I knew he had it long before that. He son my grandchild has it also. He is on meds to help him focus in school.

• Janet
    by Janet
    February 20, 2013 at 3:12 PM
    He takes Intuniv and short acting Ritalin. It helps him focus through school. It calms him some.
  • breebree04
    February 20, 2013 at 3:45 PM

My son was diagnosed at age 9 but I was pretty sure when he was very young he had it. I didnt feel the need to have him diagnosed and medicated until it started affecting his school work. I tried several herbal remedies before having him put on a prescribed medication. The medication has been great for him.

• maureen813
    February 20, 2013 at 4:17 PM
    I am a clinical therapist working with children in schools and within a large community mental health center, our psychiatric staff will not diagnose and consult around medication options until the client is five.
  • thatgirl70
    February 20, 2013 at 4:57 PM

We suspect our son has ADHD, but here in TX they won't diagnose before age 6, so we'll be doing that this year.