I wish I could say I was surprised at the stupid things people say to parents, but I'm not. Since having my first child almost 9 years ago, I've learned that parenting is something that everyone, even people who don't have kids, have an opinion about.
Whatever happened to "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all"?
The comments I thought were bad when I had one kid are about 400 times worse now that I have four kids. But today, instead of smiling and laughing like I usually do since I usually have my kids with me when I hear this crap, I'm going to share the craziest things people have said to me and what I'd love to tell them. Or where to shove it.
- You do know where babies come from, right? You know, it's funny you mention that because I was just asking myself the other day "Where do babies come from?" and then my vagina piped up and reminded me of the combined 30 hours of labor and all those stitches.
- Wow, you really have your hands full! Are you kidding? This is a spa vacation. See, I actually have about 20 more children at home but I keep them all locked in a closet and rotate out the good ones.
- You must have a lot of sex. Well, don't tell anyone, but I actually bought these kids on the black market. But yes, I have sex. A lot. Probably a lot more than you do, especially if you say stupid crap like that all the time.
- You are my hero. Oh gosh, thank you. My vagina is blushing.
- I'm so glad I stopped at two kids. If you think it's okay to say something like that in public to a mom, in front of her children, I'm really glad you stopped too.
- You must like torture. Wait a second. This is so bizarre. Have you been looking into my bedroom?
Moms of 3 or more kids, what comments drive you crazy?
by Nicole1357February 19 at 11:14 AM
You really should stop after this one or you only have two hands so you should only have two kids.
Definitely the one about "You know what causes that, right?" or "You know where babies come from, right?" It's just such a stupid thing. The first time, sure, whatever, but I'm pregnant with baby #4 now and am raising my SD as well, so it looks like I'm on baby #5. People are always saying this to me, total strangers!
I don't mind the "You have your hands full" or "You're my hero" comments. I just smile and nod. I've had one lady, though, say "How do you have enough love for more than one?" WHAT??? I just do. It's not like I'm the friggin' Grinch who has this itty bitty heart and can't love anyone but myself.
Another one that bugs me is "You'll need a bus if you keep having kids!" This was said after I had my second baby. Really? I need a bus if I have two babies and a step kid and decide to have just one more? That's not saying much for mini-vans. I have a mini van that can fit 4 cars seats and have two seats for kids who don't need car seats, plus the front passenger seat and me in the drivers seat. I think we've got our 5 kids covered.
Recently I had this little old lady stop at our table in a restaurant and commend us on how well behaved they were...well the compliment went something like this "You must be really good parents to have such well behaved children! Especially with this many kids!" I know she meant it as a compliment, but all I could think of was a couple of only children I know who are TOTAL monsters and I couldn't help thinking that it really doesn't matter how many kids a person has, sometimes they are little monsters and sometimes they feel like acting appropriately.
February 19 at 11:21 PM
The 2nd and 3rd one aren't bad. The one about the sex is funny. I'm preggo for the 5th time. My response would be, "Yep a whole 5 times." Lol.
by SlapItHighFebruary 20 at 8:26 PMToo funny. I have 3 kids but the only comments I get are because they are ALL boys.