Featured Posts
Cafe MichelleP
Are You a Mom of Three or More Kids?
February 19, 2013 at 9:51 AM

6 Things Not to Say to a Mom With 'Lots' of Kids

Posted by Kristen Chase

6 annoying things people say to big familiesI wish I could say I was surprised at the stupid things people say to parents, but I'm not. Since having my first child almost 9 years ago, I've learned that parenting is something that everyone, even people who don't have kids, have an opinion about.

Whatever happened to "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all"?

The comments I thought were bad when I had one kid are about 400 times worse now that I have four kids. But today, instead of smiling and laughing like I usually do since I usually have my kids with me when I hear this crap, I'm going to share the craziest things people have said to me and what I'd love to tell them. Or where to shove it.

1. You do know where babies come from, right? You know, it's funny you mention that because I was just asking myself the other day "Where do babies come from?" and then my vagina piped up and reminded me of the combined 30 hours of labor and all those stitches.
  2. Wow, you really have your hands full! Are you kidding? This is a spa vacation. See, I actually have about 20 more children at home but I keep them all locked in a closet and rotate out the good ones.
  3. You must have a lot of sex. Well, don't tell anyone, but I actually bought these kids on the black market. But yes, I have sex. A lot. Probably a lot more than you do, especially if you say stupid crap like that all the time. 
  4. You are my hero. Oh gosh, thank you. My vagina is blushing.
  5. I'm so glad I stopped at two kids. If you think it's okay to say something like that in public to a mom, in front of her children, I'm really glad you stopped too.
  6. You must like torture. Wait a second. This is so bizarre. Have you been looking into my bedroom?

Moms of 3 or more kids, what comments drive you crazy?

Replies

• Eve-marie
    February 26, 2013 at 9:31 AM

When I was pregnant the 3rd time my dratted MIL who only had 2, dared to say that I would have to give her my 2nd boy ( her favorite) because 'what you going to do with all of them'. I nearly cussed her. So when it was confirmed a twin pregnancy she stated the obvious. 'But... that is four!' I said to myself wow, she can count! But I was rather pissed.

• toni77
    by toni77
    February 26, 2013 at 2:37 PM
    Do you get the, "are you gonna try for a girl?"
    When I say I can't have any more to some people some say that it's probably good with the way the world is going. It's usually the older people, so I just smile and nod.

Quoting SlapItHigh:

Too funny. I have 3 kids but the only comments I get are because they are ALL boys.
  • SlapItHigh
    February 26, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Yeah, I get that.  Sometimes I tell them that I did "get" my girl but she died before she was born (true story).  That usually shuts them up.

Quoting toni77:

Do you get the, "are you gonna try for a girl?"
    When I say I can't have any more to some people some say that it's probably good with the way the world is going. It's usually the older people, so I just smile and nod.

Quoting SlapItHigh:

Too funny. I have 3 kids but the only comments I get are because they are ALL boys.

• UmiFujii
    February 26, 2013 at 6:34 PM

I have heard so many things from people, some humerous, some downright nasty and some very supportive. I love my big family (8 kids), but I know not everyone wants one. For me it is ideal. It does confuse me how someone with one kid thinks it is ok to criticise me for my choice to have so many but heaven forbid I say anything about their having only one with no siblings. I am for parents deciding how many they want and can have. Calling my children a "litter" (My grandfather called my kids this and told me to get spayed. I guess I am a cat?) is just as offensive as calling an only child a "lonely only".

• QueenLegacy
    February 26, 2013 at 8:30 PM

groompunchingYes I have 4 beautiful children well 3 and a 20yr old she is still my first baby, wouldn't trade them for the world. Their father maybe. lol. just kidding or am I? No I love em though.

• xxMichellexx
    February 27, 2013 at 7:41 AM

I have 5 children:) I have actually had people tell me that it is lovely to have a large family because there is so much love.. Usually it is elderly that tell me that, but most of them come from large families:) I am the eldest of 5 and my DH is the youngest of 6 so having 5 is 'normal' to us anyway lol..

i do have to laugh at some things people say:)

• Momto8kidsyay
    February 28, 2013 at 11:55 PM

"Don't you know what causes that?"

My reply, "Yes, we do.  And we enjoy it very much."

• la_bella_vita
    February 28, 2013 at 11:56 PM

LOL!!!!!!

I've heard all of these especially the first 3

• WooMommy7
    March 2, 2013 at 6:44 PM

I been told the normal you know how that happens right? after having a kid every year for three years. I had fun with it though got a big smile on my face and said no can you tell me? lol you should see the look on there face and if there going to drive me nuts with dumb questions i mine as wekk have fun with it. I had a doctor once when i was on my third if she could use me to show teenagers what happens if you don't take your birth control. Yet again I played along with it. Its alot more fun instead of letting them see that it annoys you to do something back that makes them think lol. by the way the pregnancy's where a joy. it took my years to finally concieve so three in a row wasn't so bad. I only have one ovary and didn't know so even after i came off of years of birth control it was hard to get my body back to normal and the doctors didn't think it was possible for me to have any. surprise surprise! and thank you lord:)

• kahlansmommy
    March 23, 2013 at 9:16 PM

So, my sister was pregnant with her third child. She went to her OB- at the office she goes to she has to see each OB at least once- and the doctor asked her why she was pregnant again. My sister had a son and a daughter already, so why do you want more?

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN