Featured Posts
Cafe MichelleP
It's Coffee Break time! Hot Topic: Are 'Cougars' the New Norm?
February 19, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Welcome to Mom To Mom's Tuesday Coffee Break!

Actress Jamie-Lynn Sigler who is 31 recently announced her engagement to a 23 year old baseball player. Not only in celebrity but as a society, we are seeing more relationships where women are several years older than their significant others.

1. Are you older than your spouse/boyfriend/fiance? If so, by how many years?
  2. Do you think older women in relationships with younger men is the new norm?
  3. When you see an obvious age difference in couples, do you wonder what they possibly have in common?
  4. Do you think there is still the double standard of it being acceptable for men to be older than women in a relationship, but still looked upon as an oddity if the woman is older?

While you share your thoughts with us be sure to let us know what you would like us to serve you!

And be sure to check out these other posts while you wait:

Replies

• goddess99
    February 19, 2013 at 9:39 AM

I'm a cougar and love it! I married Chris was I was 35 and he was 22. Idk if it's the new norm but my brother also married a woman about 13 years older than him. When I see a 70 year old guy with a 20 year old woman I pretty much know what they have in common - his money lol. I don't know if there's a double standard, but I've gotten some high 5s from some other ladies lol.

I would love an iced caramel mocha.

• Retrokitty
    February 19, 2013 at 9:49 AM
    My DF is 8 months younger then me. I see no issue with woman dating younger men. Men do it all the time.
  • mmtosam06
    February 19, 2013 at 9:52 AM
    Caramel Frappucino please. My sister is 3 yeras older than her current husband. She was 4 years older than her ex. I don't think its the new norm per se but it is starting to become common. I attended church with a couple where the husband was in his 30's and she was 20 years older than him. My uncle is 15years younger than his wife. My ex bil is 20 years younger than his wife.
  • -Mommy-2-Three-
    February 19, 2013 at 9:57 AM

I personally think its weird either way lol, my dad was 9 yrs older then my mom & it seemed like too much IMO, I think there is a certain amount of maturity with age & experience & I could date someone who was like barely out of diapers when i graduated high school. I dont mind other people doing it, to each their own, it just isn't for me lol. Me & DH are 3 yrs apart & that to me is normal. Sometimes maturity wise I feel like I should have married a 40 yr old but it'd be weird LOL.

To each their own ladies ;)

• Cafe MichelleP
    February 19, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Virtual high five and a iced caramel mocha coming your way!

Quoting goddess99:

I'm a cougar and love it! I married Chris was I was 35 and he was 22. Idk if it's the new norm but my brother also married a woman about 13 years older than him. When I see a 70 year old guy with a 20 year old woman I pretty much know what they have in common - his money lol. I don't know if there's a double standard, but I've gotten some high 5s from some other ladies lol.

• Cafe MichelleP
    February 19, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Quoting mmtosam06:

Caramel Frappucino please. My sister is 3 yeras older than her current husband. She was 4 years older than her ex. I don't think its the new norm per se but it is starting to become common. I attended church with a couple where the husband was in his 30's and she was 20 years older than him. My uncle is 15years younger than his wife. My ex bil is 20 years younger than his wife.

• BazingaMama

My husband is 4 years younger than me.  I'm 26 and he's 22.  I don't think there's a problem with it but I do think that people are more accepting of it if you guys are a little older(like, if you're in your 30's and he's in his 20's).  I started dating my husband when I was 22 and he was 18...he was getting congratulations for getting an older woman while I was getting questions as to why I would want to date someone who was barely legal.  I didn't see the problem, we were both over 18 and we both liked each other.  I would joke and tell them that you have to get them young so you can train them. lol.  No one makes comments anymore, at least not to me.

• goddess99

Thank you!

Quoting Cafe MichelleP:

Virtual high five and a iced caramel mocha coming your way!

Quoting goddess99:

• lifeforchrist
    February 19, 2013 at 10:03 AM

i married my husband when he turned 18 and graduated from highschool. I was 20 at the time. Works great for us. :)

• mrsjksimmons
    February 19, 2013 at 10:08 AM
    1. No, my husband is older than me by 5 years.
    2. I think it has always happened and the media is making a big hoopla about it.
    3. No. My grandfather was 8 years older than my grandma. I see lots of people where one is older than the other.
    4. No, at least to me it's not. I feel that age doesn't really matter. It's maturity level. My husband's cousin, who is 29, married a man who is going to be 40 this year. But his maturity level is like he's still 25.

Oh and I'd like a mocha caramel cappachino.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts