Featured Posts
kss12
1 year old and napping..?
by kss12
February 18, 2013 at 9:12 AM
Hey ladies!

My little boy just turned 1 and I was wondering how often your babies are taking naps during the day.
Mine goes to bed at 8/8:30 wakes up at 5 nurses then back to sleep until 7:30/8. Then he plays and eats etc and takes a nap around 11 to around 1. He starts acting tired again around 4 but sometimes he takes that nap and sometimes he skips it. I've noticed a significant difference in his night time sleeping when he takes that last nap at 4. If he takes it he sleeps without a hitch through the night, if he doesn't he is more inclined to wake up more often throughout the night. Has anyone noticed this as well?
Sometimes I force that last nap on him and lay him in the crib and eventually (sometimes 30-45 min later) he falls asleep for about 1 hour or less. Should I force this on him or no?
I'm also wondering if the nap from 5am to 8am is classified as a nap or his night time sleep.
Let me know your input :)

Replies

• MrsWhite101610
    February 18, 2013 at 9:14 AM
    My dd will be 3 tomorrow and still naps. Sometimes she's super cranky but will say she's not tired. I make her lay on her bed and watch cartoons. Then she's right off to sleep. She normally naps at 2/3- 5/6 pm
  • MamaMoopsie
    February 18, 2013 at 9:48 AM

My daughter is 13 months. She wakes up between 5:30 and 6:45 most mornings. She goes down for her morning nap at about 10AM, will sleep until noon and then generally takes a nap around 3 or 4PM before bedtime at 8PM. If she's acting fussy I go ahead and put her down for her afternoon nap, if she isn't then I don't worry about it. I haven't noticed any difference in the way she sleeps at night whether she's had her afternoon nap or not.

I would still consider the 5AM-8AM as night time sleep unless he gets to get up and be active after nursing. If all that happens is you pick him up, nurse him, then put him back to bed that would still qualify as night time sleep for me.

• auntangelofsix
    February 18, 2013 at 10:02 AM
    My 13 month old takes 2 naps a day and he goes to bed at 8 p.m. n he gets up about 7 to 8 a.m.
  • goddess99
    February 18, 2013 at 11:04 AM

To me 5am -8 is still night time. I would continue to put him down at 4 and if he really doesn't want to nap I wouldn't force it.

• saltycoqui
    February 18, 2013 at 11:25 AM
    If he really doesn't want to nap, at least he can have some quiet time. No tv or anything that over stimulates and lower the lights, not totally dark just dim. Maybe allow only one soft toy to hug. Lay down nearby and pretend to nap too.

Here's a funny story. I used to have mats on the floor. I laid down and pretended to nap. My sweet baby took his blanky, covered me with it and continued to play nearby. Now my kids are teens and I like taking the occasional nap. Usually while watching tv. I wake up covered with a blanket.
  • jazzieshari
    February 18, 2013 at 12:07 PM
    My son is 17months and he is down to one nap a day. He attends daycare so he stays on that schedule even on weekends. It works out great for us. There are nights he will still wake up around two am but he usually falls right back to sleep when he does.
  • HLSsMom24
    February 18, 2013 at 1:17 PM

My son will be 13 months old Sunday.  He usually goes to bed around 8/8:30 and wakes up around 6. He gets milk when he wakes up and then about an hour later, I feed him breakfast.  Around 9:30-10 he takes his first nap (this will change once he starts daycare again).  Then he wakes up around 11 or 12...he'll get lunch around 12-12:30...plays, talks etc...usually gets sleepy around 2-3...takes another nap.  His morning nap usually lasts hour and a half to two hours.  Afternoon nap, an hour to an hour and a half.  His pediatrician gave us his 12 month check up info at his last appointment.  On the paper, it said 14 hours of sleep a day is normal (including 1 to 2 naps).  But I'm sure that varies for most children!

• rebecca.n
    February 18, 2013 at 4:28 PM

It sounds to me like you're DS still needs that 2nd nap. When babies get overtired they tend to wake more in the night...which is exactly what you said since you said he sleeps fine through the night when he does take the nap. If I were you I would still try to get him to take the afternoon nap. If he doesn't take it, then there's nothing you can do about it, but I would still at least offer it. My DS didn't drop down to just 1 nap until about 16 months old.
    Oh, and I would classify the 5am-8am time as nighttime sleep, if he's just nursing and going right back to sleep.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts