My 3 yr old has been fighting a cold for weeks. Constant runny nose and cough, super red cheeks. He was on a 5 day antibiotic that did nothing. He hasn't had a consistant appetite....some days he will eat 3 bowls of cereal for breakfast and somedays I have to force his dinner.
He just isn't his bubbly, fun self. He breaks down really quickly for no reason, really moody.
I'm just not sure what is going on with him and don't know what else to do. Thoughts???
Get his iron levels checked. My three year old had what I thought was a cold right before her third birthday and then she just lost all her energy. She'd be fine for a little while in the morning and then she'd just be exhausted and say that her body hurt and she was tired. She was also very moody and would cry for no reason at all. She would put herself to bed because she was so tired and hurting so bad--what kind of two year old does that? I had no idea what was going on and took her to the doctor after about a week of the exhaustion--she also had very little appetite.
Her doctor had some blood tests done and sure enough she came back severely anemic. We put her on liquid iron every day for three months and it has helped, but I have to keep a close eye on her.
Here are some common signs of anemia:
- abnormal paleness or lack of color of the skin--my daughter had this.
- increased heart rate (tachycardia)
- breathlessness, or difficulty catching a breath (dyspnea)--this one, too.
- lack of energy, or tiring easily (fatigue)--this one, too.
- dizziness, or vertigo especially when standing--my daughter had this.
- headache--she complained of head aches.
- irritability--she was definitely irritable.
- irregular menstruation cycles
- absent or delayed menstruation (amenorrhea)
- sore or swollen tongue (glossitis)
- jaundice, or yellowing of skin, eyes, and mouth--she had yellow skin around the eyes, and red bags under them, plus her eyes just looked--the whites looked gray.
- enlarged spleen or liver (splenomegaly, hepatomegaly)--her spleen was enlarged.
- slow or delayed growth and development--I don't know if it really counts, but she always measured smaller than average.
- impaired wound and tissue healing
Hope this helps!