lazydayz
Therapist / Social Worker??
February 13, 2013 at 8:07 PM

I am going back to school after a 6 year hyatus.  After speaking with the admissions dept at the school, it looks like I will be done by the end of the year.  Are any of you a Therapist or Social Worker??  If so, do you have any career advice?  Thoughts??

Replies

• Pammi86
    by Pammi86
    February 17, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Good luck!

• grneyedormom
    February 18, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Just a head's up, all of the hospital social worker's I know, have their MSW's as well. A good way to find out, would be to talk to the ones at the local hospital's. Find out their educational backgrounds and what they needed to be able to do the job they currently do. :) Although it's a tough job, it's also super rewarding.

• lazydayz
    February 18, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Thanks!  I will do that!

Quoting grneyedormom:

Just a head's up, all of the hospital social worker's I know, have their MSW's as well. A good way to find out, would be to talk to the ones at the local hospital's. Find out their educational backgrounds and what they needed to be able to do the job they currently do. :) Although it's a tough job, it's also super rewarding.

• SlapItHigh
    February 18, 2013 at 7:58 PM
    Not me, here's a bump.
  • kahlansmommy
    March 24, 2013 at 1:29 AM

I am a social worker in a nursing home. I love what I do. It changes every day. I like seeing a smile on someone's face daily. I would not change my job for the world. I am glad you want to work with children. I tried that, just wasn't my cup of tea.

I know the pay is not too good, but you have to love your job to stick with it. It is not just a "paycheck" career. It keeps me uplifted to make a difference in so many people's lives. Good luck with your career choice!

• lazydayz
    March 29, 2013 at 11:16 AM
    What degree do you have? Bachelor's or masters?

Quoting kahlansmommy:

I am a social worker in a nursing home. I love what I do. It changes every day. I like seeing a smile on someone's face daily. I would not change my job for the world. I am glad you want to work with children. I tried that, just wasn't my cup of tea.

I know the pay is not too good, but you have to love your job to stick with it. It is not just a "paycheck" career. It keeps me uplifted to make a difference in so many people's lives. Good luck with your career choice!