Cafe MichelleP
It's Coffee Break time! Hot Topic: Who Is Responsible for the Bill?
February 12, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Welcome to Mom to Mom's Coffee Break Chat!

Durand Ford Jr, was billed $780 for ambulance services that were
too late in responding to a call for his father on New Years.
It was 30 minutes before an ambulance responded, only later to be discovered that the district was low staffed that night because over 50 firefighters called out sick for New Years Eve.

1. Do you think the district should have billed the family for ambulance services when the response time was 30 minutes and the caller died while waiting?
2. Do you think the family should have to pay the bill?
3. Was the district negligent in even allowing 50 firefighters to be off that night?

Share your thoughts with us on this... or anything else is on your mind!!

What are you doing today?
What's on your mind?

Let's talk!

Replies

• delanna6two
    February 12, 2013 at 10:25 AM

vanilla iced coffee please

That is a tough one....my 1st. thought is that the bill should be waived because of the delay and lack of staff...but then I guess they would have had to waive all bills for each call that night to make things fair.

• Cafe MichelleP
    February 12, 2013 at 10:29 AM

I totally agree. I also question whether or not they would have been able to save him had they showed up in a timely manner.

Quoting delanna6two:

That is a tough one....my 1st. thought is that the bill should be waived because of the delay and lack of staff...but then I guess they would have had to waive all bills for each call that night to make things fair.

• deputygirls28
    February 12, 2013 at 10:36 AM
    I agree with this. But also, lets take a close look at the mismanagement that also occurred. I also would like to know how many stations had been shut down bc sadly, many are due to budget issues. There still also seems to be some information missing in order for me to "take a side". But as I stand right now, bc of the neglect that occurred, I'm gonna say no, the patients family should not have been billed. But here's one of the unanswered questions, did the ambulance crew do ANYTHING to possibly bring the patient back and transfer him?

Quoting delanna6two:

• delanna6two
    February 12, 2013 at 10:41 AM

I'm thinking there may have been a chance there.....if they were able to get there earlier, efforts could have been made sooner....maybe get him stable and transport him on to a hospital....

Quoting Cafe MichelleP:

I totally agree. I also question whether or not they would have been able to save him had they showed up in a timely manner.

Quoting delanna6two:

• goddess99
    February 12, 2013 at 10:56 AM

I think the ambulance service should give the family the money not bill them. I believe the district was neglectful.

• Mrs.Kubalabuku
    February 12, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Something milky, please.

No, the fee should not be waived.  The situation was awful, and the core problems should be addressed.  But can you imagine if nobody had to pay fees because someone died?  We don't KNOW that he would have been saved had the ambulance been there in 5 secs, the story doesn't give enough information.

(I think I'm also failing to see why 50 firefighters calling in sick would impact the ambulance services.  Yes, they are all first responders, and firetrucks do have some medical equipment and people who know CPR, but EMTs and firefighters are two different things.  What took the AMBULANCE so long?  Were ambulances being sent to put out fires?)

I think the fees should stand.  BUT, the city needs to address the absentee issue.  Require doctor's notes, or bring up stories like this that illustrate just how vital their jobs are to the community.  Ask for volunteers for holiday shifts, etc.  

• SlapItHigh
    February 12, 2013 at 11:11 AM

1. No

2. No

3. I don't have enough info to say

• Cafe MichelleP
    February 12, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Something milky?? How about a strawberry milkshake.

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

Something milky, please.

No, the fee should not be waived.  The situation was awful, and the core problems should be addressed.  But can you imagine if nobody had to pay fees because someone died?  We don't KNOW that he would have been saved had the ambulance been there in 5 secs, the story doesn't give enough information.

(I think I'm also failing to see why 50 firefighters calling in sick would impact the ambulance services.  Yes, they are all first responders, and firetrucks do have some medical equipment and people who know CPR, but EMTs and firefighters are two different things.  What took the AMBULANCE so long?  Were ambulances being sent to put out fires?)

I think the fees should stand.  BUT, the city needs to address the absentee issue.  Require doctor's notes, or bring up stories like this that illustrate just how vital their jobs are to the community.  Ask for volunteers for holiday shifts, etc.  

• amberstars
    February 12, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Peppermint Hot Chocolate please and thank you.

I feel it was negligent to give 50 firefighters' time off for New Year's Eve.  There are a lot of people who have to work on New Year's Eve.  If there had been a fire and people died I believe they would have been liable.

Same thing in this case.  They took 30 minutes to get there and didn't have enough responders because they gave 50 people the night off.  I don't feel the bill should have to be paid for their neglience. 

At the same time if you waive the bill for one family then you should waive it for all that night (which again I think would be fair) or otherwise you'd have people complaining about 'special treatment'.

• Mom2jngnc
    February 12, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Quoting Cafe MichelleP:

Welcome to Mom to Mom's Tuesday Coffee Break!

Durand Ford Jr, was billed $780 for ambulance services that were
    too late in responding to a call for his father on New Years.
    It was 30 minutes before an ambulance responded, only later to be discovered that the district was low staffed that night because over 50 firefighters called out sick for New Years Eve.

1. Do you think the district should have billed the family for ambulance services when the response time was 30 minutes and the caller died while waiting? Yes, it is still an emergency vehicle that went out on the call, with a paid staff, you can run into response times of that in rural areas, you can run into response time like that in areas that are being overwhelemed where the priorty systms has to be used.... Priority ones being ugent, down to a priority 3 being (to be blunt) bull crap. 

2. Do you think the family should have to pay the bill? The bill should be submitted to health insurance, then what is not paid by insurance then be covered by the family. 

3. Was the district negligent in even allowing 50 firefighters to be off that night? What is the policy? Did they all have to show up on their next scheduled day with Dr's notes? If so did they? Not much you can do unless you find facebook pics of them whooping it up with their friends.

Now to be fair; did they call soon enough where the results would have changed? We go many times to calls where we do everything we can, but the end result is still death. Especially when they complain about it getting worse thoughout the day, or having gone on for days. 

If they ambulance was that far out why didn't they drive him? We are really LACKING information. 

$780 is on the low end. 

While you share your thoughts with us be sure to let us know what you
    would like us to serve you!! Cafe Mocha

We hope you have fun and enjoy your time with us!!