Featured Posts
Supergirl42
help with my 7 yr old PLEASE!!
February 9, 2013 at 12:05 PM

My son is a very intelligent sweet loving child. But he has trouble settling down controlling his impulses and anger and accepting any statement without arguing. He was diagnosed with ADHD last year and unfortunately takes medicine for this. It helps him a bit but I am out of ways to help him with all the issues that are not helped by medication. Any advice on ways to deal with these difficult situations?

Replies

• goddess99
    February 9, 2013 at 5:36 PM

See if you can find a good child therapist. That can help alot.

• mamaslove11
    February 9, 2013 at 6:18 PM

I second this

Quoting goddess99:

See if you can find a good child therapist. That can help alot.

• Beautifulmom513
    February 9, 2013 at 6:20 PM

no idea. we are actually going thru the same thing with our 10 year old son right now. he hasn't been diagnosed with anything yet but I highly suspect ADHD. we are taking him to the dr next week to find out what we can do.

• CrazyLife1996
    February 9, 2013 at 6:30 PM
    We set up a strict schedule, set up basic rules and consequences, and a chore list with rewards. Typed it all up and hung it on the wall where it could be seen multiple times a day.

Everyday we reviewed all the charts. Once my kids got used to it. It was like a new set of kids. I have 3 with adhd and extremely close in age.

It seemed to take the stress off us and the confusion off them.
  • Nicole1357
    February 9, 2013 at 6:36 PM

With my son at least, explaining why we would say no or something usually helped. Explaining authority and why people have authority helped. Another suggestion that aided in his behavior was the ability to give choices rather than just demands. GL

• nonnarae
    February 10, 2013 at 12:15 AM
    Adhd children respond well to consistant structure and discipline! Good luck and much love!
  • Eve-marie
    February 10, 2013 at 7:16 AM
    Is he arguing or voicing an opinion? Maybe he wants to discuss
  • Rosies50
    February 10, 2013 at 7:53 AM
    Sounds like the meds aren't the right ones. Had to change ours several times then as our child got older, stopped them completely.
  • Rhiannon1980
    February 10, 2013 at 7:57 AM
    Have you tried something like tae kwon do? It's good focus. That may help and give him a way to control his impulses.
  • Basherte
    February 10, 2013 at 4:33 PM

My cousin has a child who is adhd. He was on medication too for a little while. My cousin took him off of the meds and worked with a therapist to get a schedule down for his child. It's a very strict schedule. There are no ways around the schedule.  His son is so much better since he was given this schedule and taken off of the meds.

I know that it wouldn't work with every child. It did work with his child. 

^That's all I can really add.

Good luck Momma.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN