Mom to Mom

back child support to collections?
February 8, 2013 at 3:44 PM

My ex owes about 500.00 in back child support, he said they sent a paper saying they sent it to collections. So he plans on filing bankrupcy so he dosent have to pay it or any of his other bills back.

Do they really send back CS to collections now? How far behind do they have to be to take it out of their taxes? Can he really do that? Anyone else been through this?


  • orngblsm
    February 10, 2013 at 3:06 PM

    He is ONLY $500 in arrears!  Dang! My XH owes me over $12,000.  Child support doesn't go to collections per se that I know of.  They DO report it to credit rating agencies.  So it will affect his credit rating.  He can file bankruptcy if he wants, but child support does not get discharged and the bankruptcy judge will want to know how he can afford a bankruptcy attorney when he apparently can't afford to pay the back $500 in support, if that is his claim.  Call your child support worker and let them know what is going on.  They will answer your questions and start looking a bit more closely at his financial doings.

  • Janet
    by Janet
    February 10, 2013 at 5:00 PM
    You can't file bankruptcy on child support either.

Mom to Mom

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts