splatz
Ear piercings for babies/toddlers?
by splatz
February 7, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Just curious... I have noticed that almost everyone I know pierces their little girls ears when they are an infant. And I have seen quite a few toddler boys with ear piercings as well. 

Did you pierce your childs ears as a baby/toddler? Why?

If you didn't pierce your childs ears, why not? And do you plan on letting them chose to pierce them when they are older? Do you have an age in mind that you feel they would be able to make that choice?

Replies

• SlapItHigh
    February 8, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Nope. I only have boys but I wouldn't even if I had a girl.  If they want to when they are older, that's fine. No particular age in mind. 

• captaincw322
    February 8, 2013 at 11:54 AM
    I originally thought I'd get dd's ears pierced, then after really thinking about it, realized she was too old to do it as an infant. By this I mean she was about 4 months old and had started pulling her ears, figured she'd pull them out. Now she's 2 1/2 and I want it to be her choice. She wouldn't understand what was going on, and I remember how it hurt when I had mine done. I got my first holes the day before kindergarten and figure we'll make it a special day like my mom did for me.
  • PEEK05
    by PEEK05
    February 8, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Nope.  My daughters will not get their ears pierced until they are old enough to ask for them.

• splatz
    by splatz
    February 8, 2013 at 12:02 PM
    We haven't decided on a set age either. I guess its sort of hard to base it off age since some 8 year olds are more mature than 12 year olds. Thankfully it will be awhile until I need to worry about this. I hope... lol

Quoting SlapItHigh:

Nope. I only have boys but I wouldn't even if I had a girl.  If they want to when they are older, that's fine. No particular age in mind. 

• vrbtnseele
    February 8, 2013 at 12:04 PM
    Shes 2. Not at all. I have many peircings myself, and know how to care for them. Its not that hard.

Quoting splatz:

How old is she now? Did you have any problems with them when they were done?

Quoting vrbtnseele:

My daughter got hers at 3 months. She loves them. She likes being like auntie who is three years older than her.

• DixieFlower
    February 8, 2013 at 12:42 PM

I have boys and haven't pierced their ears. If I had girls I wouldn't have pierced their ears either. I feel that any body altering is to be decided by the person that the body belongs to. My mom pierced my ears as an infant and I hate it. I don't wear earrings yet I've got holes in my ears. So I'd let my children decide for themselves.

• splatz
    by splatz
    February 9, 2013 at 1:06 AM
    I hate wearing earrings. My mom pierced my ears a second and third time when I was about 7 and 8. So I have 3 holes in each ear that I won't wear earrings in. And they are crooked lol. I think my bottom set hit a nerve or something. It hurts to wear anything in the bottom hole on that side. No matter if its gold, silver, etc. And it causes horrendous headaches. No idea why. :/

Quoting DixieFlower:

I have boys and haven't pierced their ears. If I had girls I wouldn't have pierced their ears either. I feel that any body altering is to be decided by the person that the body belongs to. My mom pierced my ears as an infant and I hate it. I don't wear earrings yet I've got holes in my ears. So I'd let my children decide for themselves.

• Shaybay218
    February 9, 2013 at 2:35 AM

I got my dd ears pierced when she was 3 months old..

• OctoberCutie07
    February 9, 2013 at 9:30 AM

I didn't get my daughters ears pierced as a baby but let her decide on her own. When she was 4 she decided that she wanted to be a big girl so we got them done. She didn't like it at first but after a few days she was showing everyone.

• JTE11
    by JTE11
    February 9, 2013 at 1:55 PM

I didn't pierce my DD's ears as an infant because it's not a necessary procedure and I didn't need one more thing to think about every day (DD had some issues). I was 9 when I asked to get mine pierced and my mum allowed it because I was old enough to take care of them clean them, turn them on my own.