Featured Posts
splatz
Ear piercings for babies/toddlers?
by splatz
February 7, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Just curious... I have noticed that almost everyone I know pierces their little girls ears when they are an infant. And I have seen quite a few toddler boys with ear piercings as well. 

Did you pierce your childs ears as a baby/toddler? Why?

If you didn't pierce your childs ears, why not? And do you plan on letting them chose to pierce them when they are older? Do you have an age in mind that you feel they would be able to make that choice?

Replies

• Beautifulmom513
    February 9, 2013 at 2:00 PM

no I have a son and a daughter and neither of them will be getting their ears pierced till they are at least teenagers. I had my ears pierced against my wishes when I was 4 years old. my mom forced me to wear earrings and I never wanted them or liked them. by the time I was a teenager I refused to wear them anymore and my mom gave up. but after that experience I refuse to make my kids go thru the same thing. I would like to make them wait till they are 18 yrs old. I might consider it when they are teenagers and really want it and can make that decision themselves. but we'll see when that time comes. basically its a decision I refuse to make for them.

• Mrs.Burke11
    February 9, 2013 at 2:03 PM
    My dd is 9 months old and her ears are not pierced. I just look at her little ears and think "how can I put holes in those tiny ears". I will wait till she's older and asked for them also when she's old enough to understand what's going on.
  • MamaMoopsie
    February 9, 2013 at 2:29 PM

We have not pierced any of our dd's ears yet. My SD got hers pierced when she was 4 when she was with her BM.

I think 4 is a good age, but the child has to want it. My dd's are 3, 2, and 1 years old. My three year old has brought it up a couple times about wanting to pierce her ears, but isn't persistent. I figure if she asks repeatedly and has had it explained to her completely and still wants it then DH and I will discuss it and if we agree then we'll take her to get her ears pierced. The same goes for our other daughters. I don't know if I would pierce my son's ears ever. lol, I just don't like earrings on boys.

• Ravishing_dame
    February 9, 2013 at 5:20 PM

No.  That's a choice I want them to make.  Just like if we ever have a son, I won't have him circumcised.  It's a bodily change that's unfair to place on a child.  I wasn't about to doll up my infant.

• mommyof2andTTC
    February 9, 2013 at 8:48 PM
    We got my youngest her ears pierced at 6 months... my oldest (sd) her mom wouldn't get her ears pierced... well when she turned 6 she wanted them done and her mom said ok so we took her... she doesn't wear earings now, they bug her... but my youngest we did because that's what I'm used to. All girls in our family have had ears pierced at 6 months. I just didn't want her to have to feel pain when she got older like her sister did... and also she likes her earings changed but doesn't mess with them because they have always been there
  • aJiG827
    by aJiG827
    February 9, 2013 at 8:56 PM

I did both of my girls at 4 months. We have never had a problem. No infections, no pulling on them. My 3 yo still doesn't know they're there. 

• jdsmell7
    February 10, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Waiting until my daughter is older to understand & want the concept. I didn't want to risk some unknown allergic reaction being a new mom in addition to myself being allergic & needing to re-pierce, plus it's always uncertain if the infant/baby will find the earrings & unintentionally rip them out to put them in their mouth I feel that it's better to wait until they're an age to earn getting it done & able to take care of their ears/earrings. 

• Janet
    by Janet
    February 10, 2013 at 10:02 PM
    They are fine.

Quoting splatz:

Do her piercings still look ok now as an adult? Mine have now ended up crooked. I think my ears must have grown funny or something lol

Quoting Janet:

I had my daughters ears pierced before she turned one years old. She didn't mess them and she did fine.

• DesireMM
    February 11, 2013 at 9:18 AM

My daughters are 6 & 8 yrs old. We did not pierce their ears. They have to wait until they are 12/13 yrs old before I allow it to be done. I want them to be old enough to make their own decision and be responsible enough to take care of them properly.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts