Featured Posts
ameraznkimko
Sons father asking to claim him on taxes
February 6, 2013 at 9:44 AM
So my sons father called me yesterday to ask me if he could claim my son for taxes this year. My son is living with me btw...he gave me some story about him getting life insurance through his job and said that if he claimed him that they would give him more back..to me this sounds very fishy. He said he would give me the money for it but I do not trust him..also he cannot claim him because my son lives with me. I think he is just trying to fool me because if he wanted to get more on the life Insurance all he has to do is pay more right?

Replies

• edelweiss23
    February 6, 2013 at 9:46 AM
    Do you have a custody agreement on who claims said child?
  • ameraznkimko
    February 6, 2013 at 9:49 AM
    We have never been to court but my son lives with me and I am the one taking care of him..I know that he cannot claim him if I already did because he tried one year and the irs said he would get it trouble for it.

Quoting edelweiss23:

• edelweiss23
    February 6, 2013 at 9:51 AM
    Gotcha.

I claim my girls because they live with me all but 23 days out of the year.

I say tell him no

Quoting ameraznkimko:

We have never been to court but my son lives with me and I am the one taking care of him..I know that he cannot claim him if I already did because he tried one year and the irs said he would get it trouble for it.

Quoting edelweiss23:

• breebree04
    February 6, 2013 at 9:51 AM

That sounds weird to me and if you cant trust him to give you the money then I wouldnt let him do it. He can claim your ds even though he doesnt live with him but only if its in court papers that he is allowed or you sign a paper giving him rights to claim him for this year only. I made this mistake once and got screwed so I would not recommend doing it if you really need that money

• ameraznkimko
    February 6, 2013 at 9:54 AM
    I think he is just making up the story about getting more back on the life insurance because he wants the money..

Quoting breebree04:

That sounds weird to me and if you cant trust him to give you the money then I wouldnt let him do it. He can claim your ds even though he doesnt live with him but only if its in court papers that he is allowed or you sign a paper giving him rights to claim him for this year only. I made this mistake once and got screwed so I would not recommend doing it if you really need that money

• goddess99
    February 6, 2013 at 9:59 AM

I wouldn't do it either.

• SlapItHigh
    February 6, 2013 at 10:18 AM
    Yeah, I'd say no. I know my bro and his ex take turns claiming their dd every other year but dd lives 50% of the time with him and 50% with her. If your child lives with you 100% then nope.
  • Janet
    by Janet
    February 6, 2013 at 11:10 AM
    No, I wouldn't let him. But he can't anyway if you already did.
  • lazyd
    by lazyd
    February 6, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Life insurance and claiming someone on taxes are two different things.  You dont get anything "back" from life insurance unless someone dies.  You can pay more for a higher amount of life insurance.  You can have any one you want as a beneficiary on a life insurance policy - whether they are related or not.  BUT you can only claim someone on your taxes that is your dependent.  Your ex just wants to claim his son, so he will get more back in taxes, but just tell him you already claimed him.  Only one person can claim your son as a dependent, even if your ex pays CS, he still cant claim him on his taxes.  Your ex will not give you that money, even if he did, why dont you just get the money back without any worry, by claiming your own son.  If there is no custody papers stating otherwise, than since your son lives with you, you claim him.      

• splatz
    by splatz
    February 7, 2013 at 1:59 AM
    I wouldn't do it. But hey, at least he asked... My ex husband just automatically claims our son every year even though he lives with me and the divorce only says he can every other year.
Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts