Featured Posts
MistressMinerva
National Homemade Soup Day!
February 4, 2013 at 4:12 PM
Happy Homemade Soup Day everyone!
This day celebrates homemade soup in everyway!
On this day we are encouraged to get back to homemade comfort foods like homemade soup. There's nothing more comforting and homey than a nice pot of homemade soup simmering on the stove top is it? Don't waste your time opening a can soup today. On National Homemade Soup Day, remember your favorite homemade soup recipes, pick one and celebrate by making your family a pot of the real stuff. Real Homemade Soup!

Origin of this Holiday
Our research did not find the creator, or the origin of this day. At first we thought this holiday would of been created by a popular soup company or a health related organization-  It is possible this holiday may of been created by the greeting card industry because we find reference to it on greeting card sites that say-

"It's Homemade Soup Day ! Time to cook up and share some warm soup with friends and loved ones. Reach out to them with our warm soup egreetings."

Why February?
In doing our research; documentation on the date was not found. It is possible that February was picked because in the United States where this holiday is celebrated, is a cold winter month and soup is the #1 food served during the winter season. Since we couldn't find a creator for this holiday date, we do not know why the 4th was picked.

This holiday is referred to as a "National" day- However, we did not find any congressional records or presidential proclamations for this day. Even though we didn't, this is still a holiday that is publicized to celebrate.  So enjoy the day and have fun with it.

We found recognition about this holiday from:
calendar sites and personal Internet sites that blog and share information about this holiday. Many of these blogs talk about the many different types of soups from around the world. Others give great homemade recipes to soups they grew up with. We found that many sites talk about tomato soup and chicken noodle soup a lot! In our research, we found that these 2 soups are Americans top pick for soups.

Wikipedia encyclopedia tells us "One of the first types of soups can be dated to about 6000 BC. Boiling was not a common cooking technique until the invention of waterproof containers (which probably came in the form of pouches made of clay or animal skin) about 9,000 years ago.

The word soup originates from "sop", a dish originally consisting of a soup or thick stew which was soaked up with pieces of bread.

Replies

• goddess99
    February 6, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Interesting. I love soup but the only homemade soup I ever made wasn't that great.

• Janet
    by Janet
    February 6, 2013 at 11:17 AM
    I love homemade soup! Wish I had some now.
  • delanna6two
    February 6, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Happy Homemade Soup Day!!!
    love good soup and chili...yum

• Pammi86
    by Pammi86
    February 6, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Cool! I have been begging my mother to make her homemade veggie beef! Its sooooo good!

• DixieFlower
    February 7, 2013 at 9:34 PM

I love homemade soup and make several types during the winter.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts