Cafe MichelleP
Do You Eat At Burger King?
February 2, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Burger King Finds Horse Meat in Some of Its 'Beef' Burgers

Posted by Lindsay Mannering

burgerThe news that over 10 million burgers were recalled due to the possibility they contained horse meat just got a little hairier. While it's only affecting our friends across the pond -- supposedly we're eating strictly horse-free burgers stateside -- it's nevertheless disheartening to hear that Burger King, a venerable fast food joint many of us love, discovered some horse-tainted meat at one of their processing plants.

They tested for horse DNA (equine DNA, if you're fancy like that) at some of their local restaurants and the results came back negative -- it was only at their processing plant where the tainted meat was discovered.

Apparently, the vendor they used for their U.K. sourced beef was surreptitiously receiving meat from a Polish plant that supplemented their patties with horse meat. One out of every 27 patties from that Polish plant was, wait for it, 29 percent horse meat.

Granted, horse meat isn't dangerous nor especially unhealthy -- it's just, when you eat a burger, you expect it to be all cow with perhaps a rogue rubber glove or human finger inside, but never horse. It's not a food safety issue, it's more of a food tasty-like-horsey issue.

But hey, think of the bright side. Had Burger King found equine meat burgers in their restaurants, they could've served up some sliders called horse d'oeuvres.

Ba dum, ching!

What are your thoughts on this horse meat scandal?

Replies

• SlapItHigh
    February 2, 2013 at 9:40 AM
    I don't eat there. I think it's disgusting that the meat comes from so far away with so much processing and they don't even know what's in it.
  • Janet
    by Janet
    February 2, 2013 at 12:25 PM

I haven't eaten there in a long, long time. It makes me sick to think about such a thing!

• MamaMoopsie
    February 2, 2013 at 12:40 PM

This may sound really terrible, but as long as it is real meat...I'm okay with that. I might have to draw the line at monkey, though.

• 1squishysmom
    February 2, 2013 at 12:42 PM

No. the nearest Burger King is an hour away.

• DixieFlower
    February 2, 2013 at 2:43 PM

My thoughts are why is this a big deal? I mean I guess if I was in the UK I'd be a bit more concerned. Or even if the US Burger King's were using the same plant for their burgers. However it's not. The US Burger King's get their hamburger meat from processing plants in the US.

• nikkita311
    February 2, 2013 at 2:46 PM
    i do eat there.never heard till now that it was horse meat.
  • DixieFlower
    February 2, 2013 at 2:53 PM

The meat that is being recalled is being used in their restaurants and sold in grocery stores in Britain and Ireland. Thus why they were using a processing plant in Ireland. 

Quoting SlapItHigh:

I don't eat there. I think it's disgusting that the meat comes from so far away with so much processing and they don't even know what's in it.

• snharden44
    February 2, 2013 at 7:06 PM
    I think what I find most wired about this article is that in Europe they eat horse meat, and in France at least, it's considered kind of special. But yes, I eat at burger king I used to work there too, and sometimes I just need some greasy mystery meat
  • ZakkarysMom
    February 2, 2013 at 7:11 PM
    I dont eat there.
  • SlapItHigh
    February 2, 2013 at 8:05 PM

It just bothers me when meat has to come from so far away though.  That's why I prefer to buy my meat locally, where I know where it came from.  I get my beef from a local farm -- I went in on a steer with some friends and they had it butchered there.  That way it doesn't have to come from another country or even another state.  And I don't have to worry as much about what might have happened during processing.

Quoting DixieFlower:

The meat that is being recalled is being used in their restaurants and sold in grocery stores in Britain and Ireland. Thus why they were using a processing plant in Ireland. 

Quoting SlapItHigh: