Featured Posts
gem_mommie
Paraguard
February 1, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Hi Ladies,

I have had terrible luck with oral birth control in the past. Mood swings, lethargy, depression, anger, violent outburts, weight fluctuation, etc. Hormones just aren't something of mine to mess with. lol. My husband and I have 3 children and we've been discussing birth control. We truly don't want anymore babies. I'm considering Paraguard because it's hormone free, it's not surgical, it's more effective than condoms (duh), and it can be (should it work out) long term. I'm just feeling...a little nervous. The only person I know that has had an IUD is my mom. She said she didn't really experience any pain, just some discomfort and cramping afterward but nothing more than period like cramps.

I know all of our bodies are different, and there are no guarantees - but I'm curious about other mom's input. I'd like to know about any experiences you've personally had with it - or friends that you have that have shared their experiences.

Thanks! 

Replies

• goddess99
    February 1, 2013 at 4:15 PM

BUMP

• kali_mom
    February 1, 2013 at 4:36 PM
    I have experienced really heavy periods and they last 5-7 days since getting the Paragard last July. I hope they lighten up the closer I get to my one year mark.
  • OliviasMommy611
    February 1, 2013 at 5:31 PM
    I've had mine for 4 years and have heavy periods but I always have had. I had cramps the first year. None now.
  • OliviasMommy611
    February 1, 2013 at 5:32 PM
    But I love it btw
  • jynkx
    by jynkx
    February 1, 2013 at 5:33 PM

im not a fan of my paragard.

• shadow_lark
    February 1, 2013 at 6:08 PM
    I'm getting mine removed on the 14th. My period hasn't been horrible heavy, but I get cramps all the time. Almost daily and end up taking ibuprofen 5 or so times a week so that I can get up and do what I need to. I can't ride my horse because it hurts so bad afterwards, and I get round ligament type pains at random. The strings have also disappeared, so I can't check it. I've only had it for three months and thus far its cost me almost ten times what a year of typical BC would.
  • gem_mommie
    February 2, 2013 at 10:06 AM

See I've always had heavy periods and some cramping and achiness. Lately though, the cramping has been more severe. My periods make me so SO tired beforehand and since having my son (he's 2 1/2) I've had terrible mood swings just before my period starts. Last January I started on a very low dose of prozac 5-7 days before my period starts; that helps incredibly with the mood swings. I feel more normal and I love that I only use them a week out of every month and that the dose is low enough that I don't experience any side effects when I stop taking them once my period starts.

Anywho - all the changes I've experienced as I've gotten older (33) and since having my son w/my hormones and cycles...I'm hesitant to do ANYTHING really. lol. I'm also nervous about feeling it. I've always been really sensitive and considered small in that way. I'm trying to keep an open mind and say...I'll never know unless I try, but I don't want to HAVE to keep it in for a year if I absolutely hate it. :/

Quoting kali_mom:

I have experienced really heavy periods and they last 5-7 days since getting the Paragard last July. I hope they lighten up the closer I get to my one year mark.

• gem_mommie
    February 2, 2013 at 10:08 AM

I'm not getting a lot of positive feedback so far. This sounds so uncomfortable and frustrating. I'm sorry! I'm not familiar with the strings you're talking about; I thought the paraguard was supposed to be in a positive where you can't feel it and neither can your partner/spouse during intercourse. This may be a little intrusive, so I understand if you don't want to respond...how do you "check" it?

Quoting shadow_lark:

I'm getting mine removed on the 14th. My period hasn't been horrible heavy, but I get cramps all the time. Almost daily and end up taking ibuprofen 5 or so times a week so that I can get up and do what I need to. I can't ride my horse because it hurts so bad afterwards, and I get round ligament type pains at random. The strings have also disappeared, so I can't check it. I've only had it for three months and thus far its cost me almost ten times what a year of typical BC would.

• shadow_lark
    February 2, 2013 at 11:27 AM
    Iuds have strings that hang down into the cervix. They are there so that you can check each month to ensure it is in the right place...I'm sure you can guess how one does that lol. They are also there for easy removal when its time to get it taken out. Some guys can feel them during sex, but they are pretty far up there so it all depends on size and how active you are.
    And yes, it is frustrating lol. I feel like I've wasted a bunch of money we don't have all for nothing.

Quoting gem_mommie:

I'm not getting a lot of positive feedback so far. This sounds so uncomfortable and frustrating. I'm sorry! I'm not familiar with the strings you're talking about; I thought the paraguard was supposed to be in a positive where you can't feel it and neither can your partner/spouse during intercourse. This may be a little intrusive, so I understand if you don't want to respond...how do you "check" it?

Quoting shadow_lark:

• gem_mommie
    February 2, 2013 at 9:02 PM
    Lol! Thank you. :)

I'm really nervous about this whole thing. I may need to really rethink this and talk about a vesectomy more seriously with my husband. So far I think only one woman, between both threads, has said that she is absolutely happy with having gotten a paraguard. Nearly every woman has said her periods became heavier and she cramped a lot more. :/

Thank you again, I appreciate the input you gave.

Quoting shadow_lark:

Iuds have strings that hang down into the cervix. They are there so that you can check each month to ensure it is in the right place...I'm sure you can guess how one does that lol. They are also there for easy removal when its time to get it taken out. Some guys can feel them during sex, but they are pretty far up there so it all depends on size and how active you are.

And yes, it is frustrating lol. I feel like I've wasted a bunch of money we don't have all for nothing.

Quoting gem_mommie:

Quoting shadow_lark:

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN