Cafe MichelleP
It's Coffee Break time! Hot Topic: What Would You Do For Internet Fame?
January 29, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Warning: Graphic Topic! (Video NOT included)

Welcome to Mom To Mom's Tuesday Coffee Break!

What would you do for fifteen minutes of Internet fame?
    This past week,15 year old Giovanna Plowman posted a truly disgusting video of                       herself to You Tube, all in the hopes of gaining Internet notoriety.
                 Before you can say feminine hygenie products, the video goes viral
                                               and Giovanna is a YouTube hit.
        I have to wonder if fleeting Internet fame is worth a lifetime of being known as
                   the girl who ate the used tampon or as she is being referred to
                                               on social media,"Tampon Girl".

1. Before today, had you heard about "Tampon Girl"?
  2. Why do you think people are willing to go to extreme lengths to gain internet 'fame' or popularity?
  3.  What is the most extreme thing you or your child have done in the name of popularity?                    

While you share your thoughts with us be sure to let us know what you
would like us to serve you!!

And be sure to check out these posts while you wait:

Replies

• lruesch
    by lruesch
    January 29, 2013 at 7:54 PM
    I have never heard of anything so discussing but I will have to ask my son of he has heard about it or anything like it!!!
  • JTnJT
    by JTnJT
    January 29, 2013 at 8:09 PM

An orange julius with raspberry please...

Nope, never heard of "Tampon Girl" before reading this post.   I don't understand the "Internet popularity" thing....I would think being "popular" with people you actually know, would mean more than being popular with millions of people you've never met, nor are likely to ever meet.   But that aside....I think (at least part of) the reason behind this intense need....is because of the "Hollywood Glamor" melting pot....I think that some people believe....that if they grab attention on line...it's somehow equivalent to being a Hollywood movie star....I don't know, I don't understand it.  

As far as the dumbest thing ever done for popularity....well it wasn't exactly for popularity, as it was trying to prove a point (which was a miserable failure!)....but when I was 5 some neighborhood kids starting calling me a "sissy"....and thinking that it would prove them wrong....I placed my pinkie finger on the curb to the side walk, and took a rubber mallet to it....broke my finger...cried like a "sissy"....and (what few people I still know from that time) still can't live it down.

• splatz
    by splatz
    January 29, 2013 at 8:18 PM
    No... just no. Ughhhh... thankfully I hadn't heard about this prior to this post.
  • Meghan327
    January 29, 2013 at 8:22 PM

I heard some of my students discussing this (I teach high school science) and was hoping they were joking, but knew they weren't when they offered to pull the video up on Youtube,  This really is horrifying disgusting.

• mothervixen
    January 29, 2013 at 8:24 PM
    Out of curiosity I was going to just check the video out but unfortunately it was around dinnertime and my comp is in the family room so my dd was asking me all these questions and wanted me to explain everything that I was saying, she's 8yrs old and finally got to watch a video on YouTube of a baby being born that she thought the string from the tampon was attached to the baby. I promptly turned it off because now she's not finishing her dinner. I'm a trained CNA so gross stuff doesn't bother me that much but the girl should have known not to even attempt it right after she took a whiff of that bloody thing, she should have realized that it was just as gross as it smelled.  photo Vomit.gif Besides I thought YT went through and screened all the vids that were posted.  photo LOL-2-1.gif
  • haydsmom2007
    January 29, 2013 at 8:44 PM

people are stupid and pathetic. I don't care to be famous on the internet or otherwise.

• yinchi05
    January 29, 2013 at 8:45 PM

My daughter showed me a snip of the video without sound and before I knew it I almost hurled and every time I thought about it I would almost throw up. She actually sucks it soooo fucking disgusting. She needs a psychologist. It's like jackass for girls. 

• Maddymouse
    January 29, 2013 at 8:58 PM
    I watch the video and I must say I am completely disgusted at her.
    I mean I guess I can understand wanting to get fame especially in today's society, but thats definitely not in that way!
    that is the most disgusting thing I've ever seen and I feel so sorry for her because she is going to have to be known as tampon girl for the rest of her life and if that isn't sad and I don't know what is.
  • missbritt22
    January 29, 2013 at 9:05 PM
    Disgusting! Please will do anything for Internet fame these days, just like the gross video a while back called "2 girls, 1 cup"......
  • Cafe MichelleP
    January 29, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Quoting DixieFlower:

1. Before today, had you heard about "Tampon Girl"? No I hadn't
    2. Why do you think people are willing to go to extreme lengths to gain internet 'fame' or popularity? I really have no idea
    3.  What is the most extreme thing you or your child have done in the name of popularity?  Not one thing.

Now I will say that when my oldest niece was younger we went to Dollywood and got there to have Breakfast at "Aunt Granny's" (It opened an hour before the park) It was right across from Lil Dolly's dress shop. We made sure we had a window seat so we could watch for the moment they opened and took my niece over so she could be "lil miss Dolly" for a day. They put her in one of the dresses with matching socks and hair bows. She had to wear it around the park for 4 hours and then it was hers to keep.

I'd like a vanilla creme please :)